free hit
counters
Been busy with the hammer and screwdriver - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Been busy with the hammer and screwdriver

arbell9

hi all,

I have been quite for a bit, nothing worng with me except tackling major DIY jobs. I bought a bathroom suite in the Jan 2007 sales (yes 2007 is correct) and decided recently I best get a move on and fit it. Well this involves a bit of work.

1) Old toilet and bathroom were separate and so they needed knocking through into one and a new wall building.

See pic below for old bathroom

2335297991_ac1b678f77_b.jpg

I have to remove the two old radiators, demolish the wall and door structue and put a new bog in first.

Then the new wall was buildt and a new towel radiotor plumbed in. Bearing in mind I have never plumbed a thing before as we have a plumber in the family (my brother, but I couldnt get him to commit to do the whole job) I went in with a bit of trepidation, but this push fit copper stuff is the bee's knees. Only a coulple of bad connections in the whole job so far.

Now this fisrt phase was completed a few weeks ago, but next came the major job. I have demolished and removed, bath sink, tiles and all walls, chiselled plaster back to brick, Dab_Boarded new plaster board, removed old rotten chipboard flooring, put new floor down, got rid of old plumbing network, installed neew hot and cold feeds for sin, bath and shower, plus wastes, laid a new limed oak laminate floor, rebuild windowsill, plus wall below windowsill, retiled 2/3 of bathroom , fitted sink and bath and mixer shower and I am knackered.

Started last friday with my Dad, we did four days solid, then he continued tiling with my mum for a day and a half, I went to work and continued the DIY in the evenings. There was lots of snags en-route, about forty trips to Q&B for bits we forget and for bits we didnt relalise we needed (had to adapt as we went along)

The pics of where it is up to are below. I am well chuffed with how its looking. Well worth the scaped knuckles, shagged knee's and aching back. So I am having a couple of days break from it, then its onwards and upwards to the finishing line. Then my forum stuff should return to normal again.

cheers

Alex

2335297459_eaf0be4657_b.jpg

2335297781_0decd2e0fa_b.jpg

2336129690_e399b148ea_b.jpg

2335296865_38bc9be9c8_b.jpg

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Alex - you should be well chuffed with yourself.

I love home renos, and did the bathroom too like you. The paint caught me out because it didn't have an anti-mould additive and got flaky after a couple of months. A sand back and recoat with the right stuff fixed it.

Iain

Looks like you've done a good job there Alex - Its the grouting bit that I really hate.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Great work Alex - I struggle to spell DIY at times, let alone do any. it's not a strong point of mine!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Simon, you're cross-dressing again dude!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Alex mate you've been told before..................."Put the tools down and stand back" :blush:

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Looks like you have done most of the grouting but i have a tip for you. An old guy i used to know (swimming pool tiler) used hessian to wip the grout away and it came out perfect every time, saves loads of mess. Looks really good btw. I recently finished doing mine, what a nightmare all the plaster board came off the wall with the old tiles.