free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit S1, assembly of parts - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Esprit S1, assembly of parts

Hello,

I want my S1 prematurely on the wheels. Can I use the engine also incorporate a built-in gear again, or should I do if I built the engine again to expand the gear again ?

with kind regards

armin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the question?

I believe you can get the car back on all 4 wheels without having to fit the engine or gearbox - if that answers your question. You just need to fit the rear half shafts, hub carriers and associated bits.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I saw a picture of one the other day funnily enough but I can't remember where it was. I assumed the width of the rear tyres was enough to stop it going awol? There was definitely no brace between the half shafts but I guess a bit of rope would do it.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

I don't understand the question?

I believe you can get the car back on all 4 wheels without having to fit the engine or gearbox - if that answers your question. You just need to fit the rear half shafts, hub carriers and associated bits.

Paul.

Hello Paul,

as you can see, the automatic translater is not allways usefull. What i wanted to say is:

i want to put my car back on the wheels and put in the complete gearbox. My question is, can i put in the engine later when the gearbox is already installed, or do i have to take out the gearbox again?

Thanks for your time and help

armin

I can't answer that Armin I'm afraid. Maybe somebody else on the list has done this? I would imagine that the input shaft on the gearbox might foul when you try to refit the engine as it's quite a tight fit as you know but I'm really not sure :lol:

Paul.

I believe Tony Krncevic (yes, the guy which have had 3 Esprit S1) knows how you do it, pm him.

I think it will be terrible small to do it and lots of trouble. Use a double brace between the shaft and links that is connected on the chassis but also late twist the shafts, thats better than install your gearbox back.

Jean

I think you probably have to at least pull the gearbox back to get the engine in. You shouldn't need to install the gearbox completely but, if you want to roll the car about, you need to put it in as it holds the lower links as well as the driveshafts. If you just want to put the car on its wheels you probably don't need the gearbox in.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE