free hit
counters
Reverse gear gone AWOL... HELP! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Iain

Reverse gear gone AWOL... HELP!

Arghhh...

Just collected my car from Devon - 160 mile run back...

Go to engage reverse to get her in the garage and nothing! Cannot engage anything!

Any ideas?

New clutch slave fitted by garage - is there anything that could have beedn disturbed??

Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think reverse is dependant on the correct adjustment of the crossgate cable. Have you noticed if your gear shift stick is sitting more to one side? Easy adjustment.

Iain

Hmmm...

Rest of the gears fine and clutch bite reasonably high...

Just had new slave fitted and it has a braided hose...

I'm leaning more towards linkages??

Iain

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

If you can engage forward gears, clutch is working OK. I think the "red hose syndrome" is a "red herring"..might give some problems on LH drive cars when they get really hot, but the reverse selection problem is, as Iain says, most likely to be the crossgate cable adjustment. Other things that affect the reverse engagement are wear on the gearbox bellcrank; the plain bearing wears, the roller engaging with the gearbox selectors wears, and the clevis pin between the crossgate cable and the bellcrank wears too. All of this can be compensated for by adjusting the crossgate cable. Usually it needs to move towards the gearbox; then the cable will move the selectors far enough to allow the reverse selector in the box itself to get to the point where, when you try to move the lever backwards, it's all lined up and the selector will move, as it's no longer trying to engage two gears at once..bingo! Reverse. I've been through all this myself, changed the clutch hose - no difference - checked all the clutch adjustments..no difference..then, back to basics; forward gears work..therefore clutch OK..adjust crossgate cable...success!! Good luck...it's a bit of an iterative process, but it comes good in the end. However, if you can't get any gears at all, try with the engine stoped..if they go in then, sure enough it's the clutch!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Had similiar prob myself that got worse as car got warm. Was the crossgate adjustment and got worse as the cable expanded slightly in the heat. Easy to adjust under the car.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input...

Definately not clutch - new flywheel, clutch, bearings last year.

Just had an email back from Steve at SJs...

And tried it just now on cold engine - can get reverse (just!)

So - crossgate adjustment it is! :lol:

Will have a tinker at weekend.

Iain

Edited by Iain

Had exactly the same problem myself just before easter....

pulled up to reverse up my drive, and couldn't get reverse... very embarrassing.

It was the gear linkage.... just cleaned up and re-greased the bit of the linkage that moves when the gear stick moves side to side and hey presto, it's all fine.

Just needed a bit of freeing up :(

^^^ As above check the crossgate movement, check it is free.

Also if you can get in the boot or underneath to the linkage at the back get someone in the car to move it and see if a little extra persuasion from you on the linkage works, which will also indicate sticky or miss adjusted linkage.

Had same symptoms on mine after it sat for months getting sorted after I first bought it.

After months I go collect the car from mechanic mate of mine. Engine & gearbox where out for work and re-installed, so suspected linkage. But the car was test driven before I arrived to collect and was judged as smooth as silk. Maybe worked loose but doubtful. Bit of head scratching and was discovered the clutch master cylinder was leaking... Car sat for so long that the seals perished when they where asked to finally do some work!

Just because the clutch slave is new, doesn't mean it was assembled or installed properly. Worth a look and a cheap and simple fix to do.

Edited by markt

I also have a similar problem with my 84 Turbo (US - LHD). I have the original red hose, but after driving it for awhile, I have a difficult time engaging reverse.

Might someone be able to take a picture of the crossgate adjustment mechanism, so I may know what it looks like to adjust on my car?

Thanks!

Matt

Matt

1984 Turbo Esprit

Indiana

Matt

If you still have the original red hose, and your symptoms are experienced only when warm, then chances are that it is NOT the cross gate but the red hose itself. See here......

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...clutchhose.html

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg