free hit
counters
part required - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

part required

Hi friends,

I'm looking to find the part in the photos because mine is completely destroyed.

If someone have a spare that is really of no use to him...I interested to buy it.

I have found only one but too expensive. 75 GBP....

Any helps welcome

Thanks as always

Cheers :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks as if it could be mended to me...get the air ducts out and then, working from the back of the panel, use glass fibre tape and epoxy resin to hold it all together..wait for it to cure and refit.Fiddly, but possible...worth a try as it's broken anyway!! Use latex gloves to keep the resin off your fingers.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If you want a concours car, you will have to spend some money. Having said that, the fix that John suggests wil not be visible as it will be on the back of the trim.

Another choice would be to make a new one from scratch from fibreglass or aluminium and recover it.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I'm spending a LOT of MONEY!!! but I can't spend 75 GBP for a bad used one...

By the way, the fact that it will be not visible...it's not my philosophy.

Anyway thanks for the advices.

Cheers

Hi!, I have always wanted to ask a 'puritan' some questions - so here goes (not being funny or smart here - serious questions).

Being concourse, is there an allowance for replacement of parts due to improvements? Or is it just safety? The obvious would be things like relays between the light switches to shunt the current away from the switch, or a shield over the dizzy to stop fuel leaks and fires. Red hose syndrome? (maybe not).

What about material specs - like high tensile steel bolts? or Nolathane bushes? Paint spec?

Interesting world this concourse. :yes

Iain

Hi!, I have always wanted to ask a 'puritan' some questions - so here goes (not being funny or smart here - serious questions).

Being concourse, is there an allowance for replacement of parts due to improvements? Or is it just safety? The obvious would be things like relays between the light switches to shunt the current away from the switch, or a shield over the dizzy to stop fuel leaks and fires. Red hose syndrome? (maybe not).

What about material specs - like high tensile steel bolts? or Nolathane bushes? Paint spec?

Interesting world this concourse. :yes

Iain

Iain, quick note: drop the "e" at the end. Concours is the French word for competition; concourse is the English word for a thoroughfare. :)

To answer your question, at the most anal -- erm, competitive -- level, bolt heads must have the same markings, all date coded parts must match production information, hose clamps, etc. etc. . . . so to answer your question of is there an allowance, at the highest level, for the most part, no.

My opinion: I believe in keeping cars stock in appearance, but making sensible and discreet improvements (i.e. Lumenition, relays, etc.)

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Iain, quick note: drop the "e" at the end. Concours is the French word for competition; concourse is the English word for a thoroughfare. :)

To answer your question, at the most anal -- erm, competitive -- level, bolt heads must have the same markings, all date coded parts must match production information, hose clamps, etc. etc. . . . so to answer your question of is there an allowance, at the highest level, for the most part, no.

My opinion: I believe in keeping cars stock in appearance, but making sensible and discreet improvements (i.e. Lumenition, relays, etc.)

- T

I wonder if you can really concours an Esprit given the parts bin mentality and that I doubt if anyone really knows how they were built down to bolt level?

For instance, I know for a fact that a certain component in my car has never been touched or removed since it was built yet has two same sized bolts with different markings??

If you artificially match the parts then that isn't in the spirit of concoursing either.

I find the idea of concoursing plastic cars a bit silly...I agree with Tony in keeping the car sensibly stock with subtle improvements.

Robert

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Hi

The earliest we still have in stock is the S3 Esprit one untrimmed at A085V5716P.

They are made from ABS plastic and need to be a bit flexible to fit the individual cars characteristics!!

You could have a look at an S3 and see if it'll do the job, if so then you can get it untrimmed (new) from your nearest dealer.

Our RSP is

Parts Supplying Lotus God

Giorgio...if properly done, the repair I suggested would be undetectable..and you'd still have the original piece in your original car!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hi friends,

what a surprise for me reading all the answers!!

I was not thinking to start such a discussion.

Ok, I will try to explain a little bit better with my bad english...

For sure the term " Concours conditions" has a different sense in english car world...because generally in Italy it means a better than new car.

So, the originality it's not the goal but maybe a part of the question.

There are plenty of 100% original car in bad conditions but not for this they could be considered as a potential concours conditions car..

I think that if the improvements are only in the safety/fasteners/(paint also) etc...area this shall be not a problem at all.

If I use titanium bolts and nuts for the headlamps motors mountings points, for example, I think that this it could be not considered as a wrong point for a concours restoration.

Idem for everythinghs regarding lack of "sense" at the time of the factory building....(the list will be too long here...)

I think that the originality is very important, but i think also that it's better to drive a car that during a rain storm has the possibility to lift the headlamp... thanks to a better sealed wiring....

Regarding the hidden repair this is only a personal "paranoia", I can't spend 200 euro on titanium and ergal fasteners and then leave a badly patched dash.

Anyway you are fantastic and I love my Esprit also in bits. :lol:

Ciao

PS: no one spare for me..? (ahahahahahaha) :lol:

PS: Do you think that the interior of the photo is in the concours conditions league or maybe the leather is not as the same used at the factory?

post-3419-1205851951.jpg

I think that the inside of your car looks great, Giorgio. I don't know if one can tell from a photo whether something is in concours condition or not but it looks brand new to me.

Are you really using titanium bolts? In my experience they have to be handled very carefully to avoid them cracking or picking up on the threads or under the head so they are under-tensioned even when at the right torque.

I think that Tony K has probably the best S1's in the world so I would take his advice. In England and America, concours condition does not mean better than new. Often that will lead to points being taken off in a competition.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

....it's not the interior of my car..sadly

mine is still in bits and is RHD.

Regarding titanium bolts, I will take infos regarding what you said, still I have not mounted anything.

I have bought a set of Aircraft fasteners and nuts/bolts but I can use normal stainless steel if it's better.

Cheers