free hit
counters
Window mechanism - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

Window mechanism

I took one of the doors of my S1 restoration apart yesterday. i was dreading the job as I know from bitter past experience that it can be a nightmare getting the innards of the door out but it went quite smoothly really and I was pleasantly surprised. However, before I dismantled it I slapped the motor across a battery and noticed that the window would only go down about half way before it stalled. What usually causes this? I know the glass doesn't go all the way down but this was literally only about half way.

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I opened up a motor once because it would only go down - not up. Inside there was the usual wiper mechanism and brass pins, of which one was corroded. Cleaned up and all was back on track.

With your situation Paul, is it the window jamming or the motor stopping? If it is the motor, then it might be the same as mine. You could check by just disconnecting the motor drive shaft from the window and hooking it up the battery again to check the travel.

Iain

If it is slowing gradually to a stop, I would expect binding in the mechanism. I have made two of my windows faster by carefully adjusting the location and angle of the big up-and-down track in the middle. (don't know what you call it)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Paul I seem to remember a thread from a few months back to do with adding relays to each window so they get full voltage & not through the switch, it evidently sorts out this problem.

Someone was going to post a wiring diagram as well but I dont know if it came.

You should do this as soon as you sort out your track problem - did you disconect the arm & try pulling the window up and down by hand - this is how I lined my track up.

xisab

Edited by xisab

It wasn't a wiring issue as I'd connected it straight to a fully charged battery via a set of jump leads. I will have to look at the shape of the channel and see if I can find out where it binds.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire