free hit
counters
Adapting S4 Gear Stick to SE Base (?) - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Adapting S4 Gear Stick to SE Base (?)

Hi, folks...

I saw a gearstick for sale (on the latest Lotus sale list) for only 25UKP and bought one... without checking VIN numbers (oops). Now I have a gearstick which won't fit into the Master Unit Assembly (base unit). The diameter of the new stick is about 3/4" Vs the old stick (1/2").

If I drilled out the base unit hole to 3/4", I think it would be too close to the pinch bolt. If I moved the hole aft, the geometry of the reverse inhibit will probably be affected... the arc of the plastic block on gearstick would not match the arc of the reverse inhibit block.

Has anyone got a pic of the S4 Master Unit Assembly (looking directly from the top)?

Here's my current setup...

post-4257-1206137129.jpg

Any suggestions? Or does anyone have a photo of the Master Unit Assembly of the S4 to help me figure out a solution?

Thanks!

Ian

Edited by Qavion

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should be the same I believe. Se is the same as the S4, just different clothes?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Couldn't you simply turn down your new lever to 1/2"? That would be a lot more preferable than chopping up the original gearchange I'd think.

If you don't know anyone with a lathe it shouldn't cost much to have a local shop do it.

The pinch bolt goes past the indent on the bottom of the stick, so drill away. I would remove the entire assembly first, however.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Arium (Steve)... unlike the old stick, the new one has a hollow tube (not solid), so I couldn't turn it down.

Sanj... ok... I'll give it a go.. as soon as a figure out how to get the assembly out. I'm having great difficulty getting the console apart. Also, the nuts holding the baseplate of the assembly don't seem to be captive (and there doesn't appear to be any way of getting to the nuts/bolts from underneath the car).

I've pulled the leather off the centre console (top and sides), but don't seem to be able to go any further. There is a steel aperture plate that the neoprene gearstick gaiter attaches to.. .and I can't get this off (the screws are inaccessible).

This may not be my biggest hurdle, however. I'm trying to adjust the gearstick linkages, but having little luck. I'll start a new thread for that, though.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ian

I've pulled the leather off the centre console (top and sides), but don't seem to be able to go any further. There is a steel aperture plate that the neoprene gearstick gaiter attaches to.. .and I can't get this off (the screws are inaccessible).

Well, almost inaccessible... I had to drill holes in the console to get two (phillips head) screws out. The other two screws I managed to loosen using a Leatherman tool (as pliers).

I inspected the master unit assembly and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. There is very little wear and tear. I'll post some pics later to see if anyone can see anything obviously wrong with the assembly.

I've given up on using the new stick. Drilling a larger hole, IMHO, is risking weakening the walls of the mounting block. Also, without knowing what the S4 base looks like, I don't know if the stick will slide over the reverse inhibit block properly.

Cheers.

Ian.

I'm planning to do the same swap as you contemplated.

When I take my assembly ,out and do it I'll have to remember to take some pics of the changes.

Andy

Good luck, Andy :thumbup: .... Let me know if you get stuck :(

Cheers.

Ian.

quote name='esprithk' date='Mar 22 2008, 04:09 PM' post='162511']

the S4 version is different because from 1994 onward models are all "short shifter"

(the traveling distance between gears are shorter)

The '91 used the same stick as the S4. The S4 does have different shift arms in the shifter, but that won't matter in this instance.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages