free hit
counters
timing chain/serpentine belt/cam belt? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mamovaka

timing chain/serpentine belt/cam belt?

My local mechanic is in the midst of repairing a bent and mangled oil pump assembly..

while doing that he claimed that the esprit didn't have cam belts.. just serpentine belts and a timing chain.. He showed me the chain when he had the oil pan out.. and the serpentine belts..

is he mistaken? where are the cam(timing) belts, and does the esprit use a timing chain?

I say this because I was about to take it in to lotus for a tensioning..and he claims they are robbing me at 400 bucks to check tension..

can someone in the know specifically give me a run down of the v8 engine design...

What is the chain if it is not a timing chain? and is there a timing belt? as well as the serpentine belts? When the dealer changes the timing belt what are they changing then?

thanks.

Edited by mamovaka

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What worrys me is if he's got the oilpump off a v8 he must of come across 2 cambelts how have you managed to let your car,a v8 be repaired by a bloke who must not of seen a v8 before. Is this why the v8 has such a bad reptuation cock this up and the engines scrap

get your car back even if the engine in a wheelbarrow

074_view_of__front_of_jpg.jpg

Under those black plastic covers, cambelts. Ask your mechanic for your car back asap and take it to a shop experienced with the V8, he sounds less than competent to be working on your car!

A two stage drive is used for the twin overhead camshafts of each cylinder bank. The first stage comprises an inverted tooth 'Morse' chain from the crankshaft to an intermediate shaft housed within the front cover. The second stage uses separate, synthetic, straight toothed, HTD profile belts for each cylinder bank, driven from two pulleys on the intermediate shaft, each belt using a smooth pulley/bearing mounted on an eccentric hub to bear against the back of the belt and facilitate belt tension adjustment. In order to achieve the optimum accuracy of valve timing, all the toothed pulleys are clamped to their shafts without the positional constraint of indexing keys. A crankshaft positioning tool and four camshaft setting pins can be used to set each of the shafts in a ‘timing’ position, corresponding to 10

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I agree with percyporsche. If he has dismantled the oil pump then he has removed the two cambelts and these have to be reinstalled/replaced (age/mileage dependent) and tensioned correctly. As said by all other replies, watch out! it looks like your mechanic is not up to speed with the 918 V8 engine and you are taking a risk with him working on the cambelts and oil pump. If either go your engine is scrap.

Regards,

Peter.

What worrys me is if he's got the oilpump off a v8 he must of come across 2 cambelts how have you managed to let your car,a v8 be repaired by a bloke who must not of seen a v8 before. Is this why the v8 has such a bad reptuation cock this up and the engines scrap

get your car back even if the engine in a wheelbarrow

Pano, is that real , or do want to kidding us :thumbup:

the only thing i want to say: watch out "percyporsches" wise words !! just unbelievable what your mechanic does ...

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Oh Jesus... this goes from bad to worst.

As suggested by others, I would immediately try and arrange to have you car put in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing with this engine - before another mysterious incident occurs.

The engine is an interference engine, so if the cam timing is wrong, the pistons and valves are likely to come into contact.

Get it away from him before he destroys it !

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

guys, this is a mechanic that has been in business for over 20 years.. he has completely rebuilt this gearbox and many other parts of this car AFTER lotus fouled up the jobs themselves..

he has rebuild lamborghini diablo engines, ferrari engines and nsx engines..I honestly do trust the man.. however I will call him to discuss this after this input

ok, just spoke to him

he did not remove the oilpump.. he removed the suction area for the oilpump.. he didn't touch the oilpump.. I think I am doing a bad job of explainging what happened.. he removed the bottom portion of the block where the oilpan is located.. not the oilpump located on the top front of the engine..

So there you have it.. I explained to him where the cambelts are and now he understands..hope this clears things up.. the car is in good hands.. I am taking it to lotus to check the timing belts btw.. but he does a great job of everything else..

I also want to THANK you all for the quick reply.. this is his first 918 but he really has done a fantastic job with the car so far.. I trust him but he simply didn't know the engine.. he's learning more about it now..(documentation)

that being said.. if it ever needed a complete rebuild I would go to him.. but to make things easier I will get the tension/change done from lotus still.. everything else.. he handles..

thanks again guys you are of great help

Edited by mamovaka

he has completely rebuilt this gearbox and many other parts of this car AFTER lotus fouled up the jobs themselves..

Now, you see, I can't stand these sort of statements. Do you reallymean you shipped your car back to Hethel and the factory technicians couldn't fix your problem? Or do you mean that a dealer with a Lotus sign above the doorway gave you grief?

For the record, the chain he's refering to is the primary drive chain which runs inside the engine from the crank to the idler sprocket which drives the cam belts.

They are cam belts because they connect directly to the cams and control timing.

Now, you see, I can't stand these sort of statements. Do you reallymean you shipped your car back to Hethel and the factory technicians couldn't fix your problem? Or do you mean that a dealer with a Lotus sign above the doorway gave you grief?

Why don't you take it easy.. since I live in the US.. NO I obviously didn't ship my car to hethel to have it worked on.. I took it to certified LOTUS dealership in the U.S...

the POINT I am trying to make is that a good mechanic can do the job just as well as a "certified" dealer.. he didn't have experience w/ this engine.. however once he learns about the engine he is nothing short of incredible working on any car..

I do trust the man..

why did you get so bent out of shape when I said that? so you admit that nothing short of living near hethel, england you basically take a risk.. wether the dealer is LOTUS or a standard mechanic.. that's the way it is amigo..

Nope, my beef was that you said Lotus fouled up a job on your car. This, quite frankly, is incorrect and a slur on a marque I enjoy.

Had you stated you took the car to a Lotus dealer and they were a bunch of buffoons, then I'd have no cause to comment.

Pano not suprised the the local lotus dealer cock your car up in the past,in the uk the new dealers arn't allowed to touch v8 and thoughs that can won't touch them with a barge pole (long pole) Give the guy the time to do the job properly and the infomation and he would do a better job than a main dealer."That will do "just can't apply to V8 it must be right. he will be fine if he pays attn to detail.

Nope, my beef was that you said Lotus fouled up a job on your car. This, quite frankly, is incorrect and a slur on a marque I enjoy.

Had you stated you took the car to a Lotus dealer and they were a bunch of buffoons, then I'd have no cause to comment.

I'd like to respectfully ask if anyone on this thread actually thinks I took my car to Hethel and had people at the lotus factory rebuild the transmission..

when I say lotus, it's quite obvious that I am 99.9% likely to mean the local lotus dealer..

Many UK/Europe based Esprit owners do send their cars back to Lotus - at Hethel - for rebuilds etc.

Might I suggest amending your Profile Info to include your location so it's obvious to other members that you're in the States? Should help avoid future misunderstandings :thumbsup:

Pano,

If you are going to have someone do anything other than minor mechanical repair who is not familiar with these engines, you should at least provide them with the Parts manual and Service Notes to do the work properly.

It's almost impossible for the engine to damage the oil pickup pipe by itself, but it's very possible to do it when removing the sump. There are specific instructions in the manual to remove the sump to keep this from happening. I would bet money your mechanic damaged your pickup pipe.....

1995 S4s

not so sure about that.. I was hearing a "knocking" sound at idle.. something that sounded like metal bonking around behind the engine.. a low pitched rattling..

when he showed me the bent sump.. there is no way he could have bent that sump device (the device with the filter of sorts attached to it) it was mangled looking..

the other things that were damaged appeared to be the connectors from the oil pick up pipe.. they seemed to be snapped off..

also the low oil pressure light while I was at idle.. this obviously is connected to this problem, no?

can you be more specific?