free hit
counters
Oil suction filter/pipe snapped/broke and mangled - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Oil suction filter/pipe snapped/broke and mangled

mamovaka

I noticed an odd noise at idle.. as well as the car was showing a low oil pressure light when under 2k rpm..

my mechanic noticed the suction pipe and screen for the oil pump had fallen off and the brackets mangled..

he is rewelding and rebending back to normal the damaged devices and plans to put them back in the car..

has this happened to anyone else? seems awfully odd

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the fruit...!?.... this doesn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I saw it all yesterday.. the crank and bolts and bearings look perfectly fine there is no damage that I can see. yes this is directly below the block and I saw the situation.

my mechanic was wrong.. he made an assumption and upon closer inspecting found the damage.. he said everything looks fantastic other than that broken unit..it must have been getting banged around after the strainer brackets broke off the bottom of the block..

it looks like the brackets holding it in place snapped and it was mangled by the crank or whatever.. again I am not sure what caused it but it looks like the only damage is the suction pipe /brackets..

How the hell did the engine get revved to 11,000rpm when the fuel cut-off is at 7000rpm or 7400rpm for the V8 GT.

I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

previous owner shifted from 5th gear to 2nd gear = 11k rpm.. that is what starr motorcars in houston told me was reason for the rebuild..

yes it was hand cranked.. I know the oil pump is 1800.. so I am going to have the engine out.. take a look because it MIGHT be the spring not working right in the release valve.. or so I hope :(

Edited by mamovaka

update..

looks like by next week this will all be resolved.. harry from viking got me a used oilpump setup at 1k which is half price.. and he is on the phone w my mechanic to answer any questions very nice guy harry..

next week the engine will be sorted, cleaned and put back in the lotus.. which is nice.. as the car has been driving for well over a year without any problems whatsoever.. still not sure what happned.. it appears that the pump was grinding against the cover for some reason.. unknown as to why.. in any case it should be all sorted soon enough :(

In the meantime I just bought an m3 today as well.. so I will have both cars for track days..

Edited by mamovaka

Pano,

When my oil pump went, my comment was how the f**k can the oil pump wear as it's the most lubricated part in the engine. However, I was told that any foreign objects (metal particles) in the oil will run through the pump as the oil filter is after the pump (in terms of flow direction).

I'm glad you found a discounted replacement part. Will you have to run the engine in?

Regards,

Peter.

update..

looks like by next week this will all be resolved.. harry from viking got me a used oilpump setup at 1k which is half price.. and he is on the phone w my mechanic to answer any questions very nice guy harry..

next week the engine will be sorted, cleaned and put back in the lotus.. which is nice.. as the car has been driving for well over a year without any problems whatsoever.. still not sure what happned.. it appears that the pump was grinding against the cover for some reason.. unknown as to why.. in any case it should be all sorted soon enough :(

In the meantime I just bought an m3 today as well.. so I will have both cars for track days..

my mechanic does know his stuff.. I spoke to harry after the conversation w the mechanic and harry feels confident the mechanic knows what he is doing..

basically the engine is going to be completely cleaned.. and I saw the debris that damaged the oil pump.. it was aluminum shards..

a few k to resolve this issue well.. no biggie :(

Edited by mamovaka

Pano,

Any Idea where the aluminum shards came from? Was something that always puzzled me on my Oil pump problem.

Like the "few $K no biggie" attitude. Welcome to the V8 owners club.

Regards,

Peter.

my mechanic does know his stuff.. I spoke to harry after the conversation w the mechanic and harry feels confident the mechanic knows what he is doing..

basically the engine is going to be completely cleaned.. and I saw the debris that damaged the oil pump.. it was aluminum shards..

a few k to resolve this issue well.. no biggie :(

Edited by peter_england99

haha not sure to be honest.. my mechanic felt that the front part of the engine was grinding against something inthe oil pump location.. tearing up some of the aluminum.. who knows..

i have put a ton of cash into repairing the car.. but that is why there are so few v8's onthe roads and driven.. it's one thing to buy the car.. another to drive it often and ANOTHER to keep it running and looking perfect.. I do what needs to be done so the car is perfect all the time.. I have a great love for the v8 esprit and it is LOT easier throwing 20k at the esprit than my DD 2005 m3