free hit
counters
What is this? - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rogerch

What is this?

Being as I have no starter motor, I decided to play in the garage, as one does on a long weekend.

Removing the carburattors, my attention was drawn to a small earth strap to the bottom of each carburattor, then at the end a small terminal box, one earth strap was broken, and nether terminal conected to the end box, they appear to have been tapped up.

From this I deduce it was not doing anything anyway, it does not have auto choke, so what is this, what is it supposed to do?

Roger :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well after due diliberation, and testing the little box, it sends out a plunger, when current it introduced, which in turn actuates on a level to slightly open the throttle butterflies, I figure this is an idle up device for cold starting.

Since it was not connected, and anyway I'm sitting here in shorts and t shirt, as we head into winter, I figure it is of neither consequence nor use!

However before I consign it to the rubbish bin, I would like confermation, any clues?

Roger :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi Roger

The Box you refer to, located on the front carb, is the 'Throttle Jack Solenoid'. It's function is to increase engine idle speed when the engine is cold or air conditioning is switched on(if fitted). It also to open throttle on hot start cranking.

I still have this fitted to my HC engine, but I have not connected it up, However she seams Ok with out it so far.

Take a look at my Thread S3 Turbo HC Conversion. page 5, there are some photos of when I refurbished my Carbs. these might help. Esp as for the location of the earth straps. Should be one coming off each carb. from the bottem plate to the outer inlet manifold lower outer mounting bolts.

Daz

Edited by dazmans3

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Thanks, I think I'll put on a shelf, to be played with another day, I bearly need choke on a cold start here, and I haven't noticed a significant drop when the air-con is on, so I won't worry about it for now, save some weight!

Roger B)