free hit
counters
All New Carbon Fibre Roof - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

All New Carbon Fibre Roof

Hi all,

Here's the latest development to demonstrate what we can be achieved for the Esprit in the way of new products. It's an 'all new' carbon fibre roof based on the OEM GRP roof with a lip unlike previous attempts where the edge was a rough cut. This now means it has a lot more strength and weighs nearly half the weight of any other roof.

It's also made differently and has moulded in captive nuts underneath to accept your original handles and tongues which mean no visible fixings from above.

IMG_2582.jpg

This is the first one out of the mould. It's not finished yet and needs lacquer and finishing but you get the general idea. As soon as it's finished then I'll post better pictures. Ones taken show roof very dull etc.

It's far superior than previous CF roofs and is even stiffer than the OEM GRP one!

IMG_2579.jpg

I will bring this along with me at the Lotus show along with carbon fibre wing, carbon fibre seats and carbon fibre oil catch tank. Come and have a look if you are interested.

An article should be up on LEW any day now. If it generates any interest then I'll add it to the shop.

If you have any questions then feel free to pm me or email me at [email protected]

Edited by superdavelotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks brilliant Dave - if the price is right I'll certainly have one!

Congratulations - a very worthwhile option.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Hi Dave,

It's a matt finish on interior. If I was fitting to mine, I would glue some lining like the GRP one. This is made from one mould so only one side can be shiny.

The matt finish is still presentable and how many times do you look up in your car?

How are the alloy indicators doing, any progress or orders?

Regards,

Dave Walters

Dave,

I'm looking forward to having a look at Donington.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Matt,

It's a dull matt finish almost black. If you are concerned about finish then I would glue some lining same as your interior. It's still very presentable and like I've said before, how many times do you look up at your fibreglass one?

Regards,

Dave Walters

Please add some pictures of the under side and some of it off the car. I would like to replace my fiberglass one.

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the positive response. It is even more impressive in the flesh!

As for price and being right, I think it is. It's more than the previous attempt of a CF roof but this was a copy of the glass roof and weighed quite a bit. Also it flexed and had your existing glass roof fitting visible and also had a raw edge which ended up being 2-3mm smaller than glass roof. When you compare to an OEM fibreglass roof which is

Dave, Looks FABULOUS !!!! I love it! Looks very good on a silver car. If I hadn't already dropped 2K on my Esprit I'd be lining up to get one. Even at the crappy exchange rate its worth it. Glass roofs are going for $900 in the US and are quite heavy. Carbon Fiber is the way to go. Maybe 09 or sooner if I win the lottery...

Hi Jonathan,

That's not right, the guy painted the edge too much. It will be cut back to the edge again with cutting compound before it's lacquered.

These are unfinished pictures, as soon as I get some better pics I will post up on here.

Regards,

Dave Walters

Love the skirting around the edge.

Hi Eric,

That's wonderful news! Be sure to read the seat article before purchasing. I found out that my big backside won't fit in them. Iam 6'-3" and 16 stone (100KG). If you are normal size then you'll have no problems.

Regards,

Dave Walters

Hi, David

you really make great products.

I am planning to purchase both the CF roof and the CF seats from you.

looks amazing dave, wish i could do carbon, or even carbon laying.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Hi Karl,

I used to think that until I saw these people doing it. It's very messy, smelly and takes quite a bit of space, not something you can do in your shed!

It's like anything in life, if you do it day in day out then it's easy. Try doing it as a one off and it ends up taking 10 times longer. Try asking a CF fabricator to knock up one of your CAD drawings. It loonk easy enough but it will take him 10 times longer!

Sometimes you have to accept this and spend your time on things you know.

Regards,

Dave Walters

i would be happy just to try laying on a piece not actually making a mould etc etc, just for looks really.

all time really

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

nnnOOOOOoo, i mean REAL carbon, but laid on top of a item so it stays there.

like ppl have done to there dashboards on here

Love to mate but I'm at the sister in laws wedding that day ion the full penguin!!!!!

Next time I'm in Liverpool (wedding in cambridge but sister in law and future husband live in liverpool) I'll give you a shout and meet up.

Toby