free hit
counters
V8 Valance on S4 ? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The front valance on my S4 has always been in poor shape since I bought the car and I've done my best to fix it, so its didnt look that bad and probably not noticable if you didnt know about it. But its now off the car and as Im probably going to get it resprayed I thought I should consider getting a new one as they arent that expensive (

Edited by CarlC

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl,

I like the V8 look too and we have a bright enough colour to carry it off!!

are you going to go for the arches too to make it look really agressive?

Oh no! - dont go putting ideas like that in my head.

But its a good point I hadnt considered. It also highlights my dilema. Given the cars are so rare, even the S4, with the research I did a few year ago confirmed that there were only 94 registered S4 on UK roads. I dont really want to de-value the model by creating a v8 looking 4pot. Though I appreciate the S300 had the extentions on. I just like the more aggressive look of the V8 front. Given I can always put back on the origonal spoiler I think Ill probably opt for the V8 but the jury is still out on what to do... :thumbsup:

I hear what you say, my problem is that my paint is so bad (I love the PO, no really I do!!) that its never going to be a mint original example so I'm probably going to go down the 'make it mine route.

I have all the bits already just need the time and space to get on with it!!

Oh no! - dont go putting ideas like that in my head.

But its a good point I hadnt considered. It also highlights my dilema. Given the cars are so rare, even the S4, with the research I did a few year ago confirmed that there were only 94 registered S4 on UK roads. I dont really want to de-value the model by creating a v8 looking 4pot. Though I appreciate the S300 had the extentions on. I just like the more aggressive look of the V8 front. Given I can always put back on the origonal spoiler I think Ill probably opt for the V8 but the jury is still out on what to do... :(

Personally, I think the V8 valance is a bit "overworked" stylistically and the S4 valance integrates better. V8 arch lips will just highlight the already slightly undernourished looks of the standard S4 rear wheels.

It's like all these V8 stling touches that people apply piecemeal to earlier cars (like the light conversions), they were designed to look better as a whole kit.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I'm not sure on the V8 light upgrade either.

I'm going to go for Dave's clear lamp set up all round, I think it gives a nice update without going to far.

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments.

I very much doubt Ill go with the arch extentions, as you rightly say the S4 stock wheels hardly fill the body as it is. I am considering rear wheel hub extentions becuase of this, but thats for a whole other thread.

To my knowledge I know of only two Medina green S4's. Apparently, it was spotted at Donny last year, but I never saw it in the flesh. I have seen a GT3 in what I thought was Medina green but it was a much darker green than mine and wasnt Medina (B18) . Anyway Thanks, more pressure to keep it origonal. :angry::D

I may have to do do a bit of photo shop work to help deceide...

I am considering rear wheel hub extentions becuase of this, but thats for a whole other thread.

I'm mulling that over too; if the rear bearings weren't such a NIGHTMARE to do I wouldn't worry about wearing them out. The 35mm ones stick out just a fraction too much for me, but Ramspott and Brandt do 20mm ones. Actually Garry Hodges used run just 10mm ones on his rears and it was still a noticeable improvement!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I have the 35mm ones from Marcus at PUK. as for the issue of wheel bearings, arn't the V8 cars with wider rear wheels fitted with the same bearings?

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the pictures. That looks, much better than the current large overlap on the stock S4. I'm sold on the wheel spacer idea after seeing your pics. B)

Look forward to seeing it when it's done Carl..............seems ages since we had the pleasure of your company.

See you soon,

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Great ot hear from you Graham. I'd hope to get out to meet up with the NMEG gang very soon. Its likely to be May, early june before Im back on the scene. And its a disgrace I havent seen your V8 yet.

• 1 year later...

Well after a very long time off the scene and my poor car not even seeing the road for over 12 months I've have finally finished a major re-work on the front of the car. I now have the V8 front valance fitted with v8 front undertray but with the S4 Rad and chargecooler still in place. I have replaced my almost finless CC/Aircon rad with a nice new lotus one and I have also dumped the use of the aircon rad and instead done the S300 combined chargecooler rad.

This was a painful and tricky process and should not be attempted unless your a die-hard machanic with more time and money then sense! :cheers: none of which apply to me. The bottom line is this job was a massive amount of work and money for very little difference in respect of the valance change. In my case I had to replace the front bumper and lower valance anyway but if you dont and your thinking about upgrading the front to the look of the V8 I would strong recommend not to bother. The existing oil cooler ducts, Main rad duct, left and right undertrays and all grills forward and rear facing must be changed. Luckily the main rad tray and Rads does not to be changed.

The most painful part of the process the removal of the existing body work and the removal of the rusted and knacked body mount fixings. None of which came off easy and had to be cut out and access was typically dreadful.

So I've just got the rear calipers and rotars to upgrade/replace and I can get the car in for an MOT and back on the road at last before it goes in for a clutch change.... Oh joy, but at least Im doing my bit to fend of the credit crunch!

No they're completly different, although I would have thought you could winkle it to fit, but of cutting here and there, perhaps a bit of GRP work...

As for the grilles make them yourself - just done my stainless one, cost about

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Great to read you're still out there and doing your bit Carl. :)

Hopefully we'll see you again when all the work is done.

You know it's worth it :)

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007