free hit
counters
1997 V8 SE...needing TLC - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DaveR

1997 V8 SE...needing TLC

I have been to look at a 97 V8 SE today. Before going I was aware it had a Turbo issue (27,000), but it started and ran well. Looking it over I confirmed that it seems the LH turbo is smoking slightly under power (clear smoke). The engine however ran fautlessly the whole time we were looking over it and the temp remained steady at slightly over 70. Knowing this problem before going it was let down by the body...the pictures looked v good (as they usually do) but overall it had a bit of crazing to the nose, the drivers side pillar/roof seems to have a small crack in the paint and the drivers door seemed to have some problems with what looks like the 'skin' coming away from the frame. Generally it also looked like it had had paintwork patched throughout its life. There also seemed to be a question over history for the car...the guy tasked with opening up on a bank holiday didn't know anything about the stock they had...we are assuming (until told otherwise) that they do not have any history in their posession. We walked away afterwards thinking that it was ovepriced for the condition and work required (

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Dave,

What colour was it? Red by any chance?

Dave

Apparently this was Jonathan Edward's old car (if it's the same car) which was written off when it ended up on it's roof. Jonathan is a member on this forum has has nothing to do with it getting back on the road. The engine needs looking at and I don't think it's just the turbo... but Iam no expert. I was looking into buying this myself about a year ago.

Regards,

Dave Walters

YEP....thats the one

Dave,

Thanks for the replies...looking at the body there is alot of overspray around the screen and wing mirrors. Would an esprit body survive being turned over on its roof without being replaced? on the car you looked at what other work needed doing on the engine? Would you happen to know Jonathon's name on here? I wouldn't mind getting in touch with him to see if it is the same car....

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Do a search on Jonathan Edwards

The damage was A pillar and other. You would have to speak to PO about other problems. If your instincts told you to walk away then go with your instincts.

So who was selling it? Do you have a link to the seller or their name? Wondered if it's passed owners since I was looking?

I was offered it for

Edited by superdavelotus