free hit
counters
New tire time - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New tire time

Well useful info or not im putting Toyo RA1 dot tires on mine. I was about to order Bridgestones super sticky summer tires but like all others after a few extreme heat cycles through them they will go hard and skiddy :)

http://www.toyo.co.nz/tyre_detail.php?T_name=Proxes%20RA1

I think Mike S runs a 275 width race tire with better success to get heat in. This Toyo tire has the 275 width or step up to a 305? :lol:

Mike, or race fanatics if you find this thread ok can you give us your opinion out of these Toyo sizes and what would you choose to confirm, also for the fronts go smaller too?

For a rear 10inch rim the 275 in this size is bang in the middle for sizing. The 305 will fit too but could be a bit much?

Ive had RA1s on the 89 Turbo and had no problems in the wet, just not allowed to hit the loud pedal in the rain thats all.

But you will have to be more careful in the V8 of course for obvious reasons.

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why you Yankee dogs no talk about Sumitomo? Sumi got tread pattern just like English swine Dunflops what came with car in first place. Sumi rules! Tora, tora, tora!

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

John, as you are obviously an well informed man ;) :

Who offers 235/40 -17 in cold weather (Winter-) specification ? And who else than Dunlop offers the same in 285/35 -18 for the rears .

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

You've called my bluff fair 'n square, Gunter. I was defending the Sumitomos only because I "inherited" them upon purchase---they had just been installed on the rear wheels by the PO prior to putting the car up for sale. The only reason I know that their tread pattern is almost a duplicate of the Dunlop 9000's (on the front wheels) is because they, too, are almost brand new. This leads me to believe that the PO had difficulty finding all four tires under one brand, at least in his local area. My reference to DunFLOPs harkens back to my very first ("used") car, a 1964 MGB roadster, and the difficulty I had back then (men had not yet landed on the moon) in finding a set that were not "out of round". Dunlop has obviously made great strides since that time, as I am currently on my 3rd set (8080 E's) on my M Coupe and have been happy with them. I have Pirelli 6000's on an older BMW 535i (now a "hand-me-down" for my boys to learn on), primarily because I found a "good deal" on them. The Europa, too, has [ancient] Pirellis, but isn't currently being driven. And to round out (pun, pun) things, and in my ongoing efforts to support the "global economy", I have Michelins on the family Sequoia (you are not permitted to live in the state of Texas unless you can prove ownership of a gas guzzling SUV).

As for your quest to find Winter tires to comply with the German requirements, US true "Winter" tires are radically different from day to day "ordinary" or "performance" tires. US "all season" tires are a reasonable compromise for most people, but I sure as heck wouldn't "track" them. As it happens, the Sequoia tires are labeled M/S (for "mud and snow"), but with an aspect ratio of 75, I'm not sure you'd want them on your Esprit (they come with a ladder for access to the cabin). At one point, long ago, I even drove a car with studded "snow tires"---what a racket they made on dry pavement! They are now illegal in most states, due to road wear.

I wish you luck in your pursuit of the perfect (and legal) tire for the upcoming winter season. Keep us posted.

I remain completely RE-tired,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Yeahh! i can modify the Esprit to an SUV "with extra hight" ---funny story (an would improve my use of the car in the local suburban areas)

wasn't the Esprit also registered as 'gas guzzling' car in the national transportation board listings ?!

in the moment (as i have an other car for daily use) i think it is cheaper to pay the full year tax , and don't use the Esprit in snowy-winter seasons anymore. An full set of summer/sports tires cost much for an unemployed student. And i guess an full winter setup isn't cheaper.... .

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Unfortunately, the Toyo range doesn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica