free hit
counters
esprit interiors favourite and not so liked - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Antiques

esprit interiors favourite and not so liked

Guest Antiques

Of all the variation of Interiors in the Esprits i was wondering which one you liked best ???.I personally like the half leather and fabric,the best of both worlds.Of all the coulours iv seen there is a cream colour with a cream sterring wheel,very exotic looking.The one i thought was to garish was a full red leather interior with a red sterring wheel.I got a test drive in a white Esprit hc a number of years ago and it had full blackcloth seats,not nice!!James/Antiques.ps the interior of my elite is what i believe is a leather look, and cloth,in cream,with tan carpets .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

seats/dash the "look", i will be biased and say mine (gt3) or the s350 for the the CF stuff, not keen on the sofa seats.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Hi

Fav... Green / Tartan / Burnt Orange :(

not so fav... anything not factory spec! (specially gnobs and steering wheels! :thumbsup: )

jim

Cheers - jim

Dislike.............switchgear on the Steven's up to 99 (maestro BL crap)

Like GT3 Seats and the newer V8 Binacle!!

My '82 S3 has a black 'woven' cloth interior, which I wasn't sure of for a start, but has grown on me. It picks up a lot of dusty bits, but is easy to keep clean with a wire brush! Never seen it any any other pictures before though.

Scott

Hi,

Like my GT3 interior, especially the colour gearlever surround matching the car colour, but any of the later models will do, although I do prefer the earlier dash pod to the later one, later one too small and not enough dials. Centre dash console is nice though.

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

I hate all the 2 tones, I especially hate the newer ones with bits that match the exterior, all in all, the trim of Esprits is not it's best point.

The best one if seen is mine, because I pulled it all out and re-dyed it, to something I do like.

Just as well I don't apear to be typical, the car has great style, great performance, great heritage, pity about the trim!

Roger :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

GKP - mods mods,,,,ban him from the thread

LMAO, oh you love me he he he he

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I really dislike the newer binacle and the faux wood on the insturment cluster that came after 88?. I like the tan and cream color leathers best...

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Cameron, that veneer was real! :(

By the way, one of the things that made me have to buy the blue S1 was the interior:

interioratmeigs.jpg

I love the colors, although the brown is supposed to be a little bit darker.

My favorite touches/details include the chrome strips, the chrome beveled gear lever, the pleated pattern on the seats and inserts, and the way all of the angles and planes in the interior complement the exterior. :thumbsup: lol

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I never liked the chrome strip inside the S1. Mainly because it always used to press against the outside of my knee when driving - it somehow managed to find the seam of jeans and make a pressure point!

Basic is best IMHO, I like the "anti glare" suedette of the S2;

Lotus_Esprit_S2_Interior.jpg

and the same anti glare idea from the Sport 300, although the seat cloth stolen from a 1988 special edition Renault 5 has dated somewhat;

S300_06.jpg

My pet hates are the wrinkled and ruched leathers from the 80s interiors that looked trendy for 5 minutes then trapped dirt and looked manky for the next 20 years. And the less said about wood trim the better.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I always liked the old dash, not just because mine has it, but because i liked the

mass of dials in there, very purposeful looking, reminded me a bit of the SD1 dash

and some other cars of that era. Losing the boost gauge on later dashes seemed

like a backward step.

Have never 'got' the percieved luxury of the having the later 'calibra' door handles

and vauxhall corsa (like my van) dash cowl. I think both types look just as good, but

can see why the esprit had to look more like its competitors on the inside as people

expected that kind of interior.

My car has blue leather (as with most white esprits). It was 100% my least favorite

if i had been given the choice, but after living with it i actually like it now.

To be 100% honest, given the option, i'd go for a non leather cloth seat. I just find them

more comfy myself, denim does not abrade them like it does on leather, and they are better

in the sun. My S3 had alacantra inserts in the seats, that was better for me than the SE's full

leather.

I do like leather steering wheels more than plastic, nicer feel.

I really don't like alloy (or any heat conductive metal) gearknobs.

I don't like alloy accessories, you will see none on my car ever.

I like V8 seats, very comfy and would like a black set for my SE.

S300 seats hurt the sides of my bottom, but look the best.

:thumbsup:

Note the leather on the dash cowling on late cars like the SE and some very late g cars

is always black, regardless of the rest of the interior. I know why! My S3 had the dash

cowl trimmed in magnolia, on a sunny day i had to drive using the reflection of the demister

vent, as the cowl reflection on the windscreen was quite bad. Lived with that too mind.

Red piping,black/raven(depending on amount of colour blindness) Black foot mats (Lotus emblem),Very red carpet (hides the blood when simply fixing little things)

post-28-1206575901.jpg

Simplest things first.

My fav is the S2 JPS. Looks Cooool :thumbsup: :

Lotus_Esprit_S2_JPS_Interior.jpg

+ 1 on that. Much prefer the JPS interior over the standard S1 and S2 interiors. Almost makes up for the "world champion" signwriting on the doors.

Mind you, that S1 of Tony's looks pretty good. Looks like the same seats but without the half-leather. Just not sure about that steering wheel, though.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Oh yeah, the steering wheel . . . yes, the JPS' steering wheel is perfect. Ummm, S1 steering wheel is a little 'bleh'. :thumbsup:

Your mention of the seats reminded me -- they are actually different: The S2 seats have better lower back support, and the side bolsters continue all the way up the sides up to the shoulders, whereas on the S1 they flatten out as they go up, and are nearly flat across at the shoulders. Personally, I very slightly prefer the S1 seats for the design theme, but the S2 seats really hit the bulls eye when it comes to support and comfort. Like the front spoiler and the "ears", the seats are one of the many slight but meaningful functional improvements of the S2. :(

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Okay, I'll admit it...I love tartan. I have to smile every time I see an S1 with plaid seats and orange carpets, it's just the ultimate 70s fashion statement.

I'm not too crazy about the 80s puffy leather, but I do like the toned-down leather in the S2. It looks a cut above the felt/suede dash. Didn't someone call that "muppet pelt" or something :( ?

Guest Antiques

Great seeing the different interiors.Liked the s1 with the coffee ,and cream colour interior.I agree a wood dash is out of place in a car of this sort. In my Elite there is a wood effect finish which is awful. The smaller binacle i dont like.Once again the guy who put the tartan in a s,esprit is great harking back to the s1.The marcasite i liked on the s1.James/Antiques

I retro retro retro, The Esprit inside gets better the further back you go IMO. I love the lines of the S2 and S1. The fawns and browns with the tight fabric is soo cool. :(

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I love my car, it's Ivory leather mixed with Carbon fibre dash and door trims. However, I don't like the fact I don't have a boost guage like virtually every other model!

Mines 100% original, with the original wheel, as you'd expect from me (being a purist).... (I know it's not an interior part but I've even just had my exhaust valve fixed (which everyone else removes) just to keep the car pure!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

My fave would be the white/cream leather with blue piping (as per some Blue S4's).

My least favourite (for how it looks) has got to be the S1 tartan. :(