free hit
counters
Cam housing removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have an annoying small oil leak on my S3 Turbo, which I suspect is coming from where the exhaust cam housing mates to the cylinder head. When hot every few minutes a tiny drip of oil lands on top of the exhaust manifold and obviously smoking occurs.

I don't think its a very serious leak, but experience tells me that it will probably get worse and it needs sorting.

As my cam belt is due for renewal I was wondering wether it is feasible to lift off the exhaust cam housing and reseal the two mating surfaces with a suitable silicone gasket?

Is there sufficient clearance between the cam housing and the glassfibre sidewalls of the engine bay to remove the housing and perform this task without major surgery??!!!

Regards

Iain Nicholson.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My old car was done by PNM for this problem and afaik he did it all in situ. It was and 89 turbo so basically the same ish.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

This is a fairly common problem. Dont know if its possible with 'sidewall' in place but it will be much much easier with it removed and you will have more access to do it properly. (you only want to do it once!) NB silicone is not used for the cam tower to head - an anaerobic compound is used on your vintage car. Dont forget to measure your valve clearances before you start as this will also be a job to do at the same time...

cheers Steve

Hi Iain,

Shouldn't be a problem in situ but just check that the leak is not coming from the cam cover rather than the cam-carrier/cyl head joint as it's a much easier fix and they are prone to leaking!

If it is the carrier, you'll need an anerobic liquid sealant.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009