free hit
counters
Wing Mirrors . . . - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

Wing Mirrors . . .

I am ready to put the wing mirrors on . . . anyone on here done that? I am sure . . .anyway . . . my question is did everyone drill 2 new holes, or use one of the existing holes and drill another? To me it looks as if I am going to have to go back and down the door a bit to make the mirrors line up with the natural curve of the door . . . any examples ? Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, I did this a few years ago. Very easy really.

I drilled just one extra hole, and used one of the original holes.

Make sure the new rubber gasket covers up and marks in the paintwork caused by the old mirror, before drilling the extra hole.

You will find the rubber gasket, and new mirror, should just about cover up any marks.

I have a question about the mirrors. I have installed mine and for the life of me they will not adjust properly. The mirrors appear to have two permanent settings then you can adjust the mirror glass with the internal controls. My problem is the first setting on the mirrors puts them so wide that no matter how far in I adjust the glass I still can't see anything out of them. If I put the mirrors in their second "close to the body" position they are way to close and even if I adjust the glass all the way out I can't see anything! I have taken these silly things apart maybe 5 times now it appears they only go together one way. So why is it they never line up?

- Graham

where do you adjust the 2 different settings? I just fitted some and one is in wide and the other is in closed . . . they look a little funny . . . I find it humerous that the plinths for the mirrors are aluminum and the rest of the car is fiber . . . .

I took a second look at them, there are 2 dimples on color that the allen head tightens on, is this the 2 settings?

Edited by CBrownstead

I believe the two dimples are the settings, but my problem is neither one of those settings is correct for the car. If I put it on the first setting the mirrors are to close and if I put it on the second setting the mirrors are to far out. There doesn't seem to be any in between.

I believe the two dimples are the settings, but my problem is neither one of those settings is correct for the car. If I put it on the first setting the mirrors are to close and if I put it on the second setting the mirrors are to far out. There doesn't seem to be any in between.

It could be:

1) Your seat is in a funny position?

2) Your a funny shape?

:angry:

Sorry... cant really help but to say on my S4 they are in the correct position if the drivers side mirror (right hand drive) is in the sticking out position & the passenger side is in the tucked in position. In the last 5 years no one has noticed it.

that is how mine are setup . . . and you know i thought these mirrors were to look cool anyway . . .with these cars who ever gets passed ? . . . just kidding . . .

You may just need to slacken off the hexagon grub screw and move the position of the mirror slightly.

It sounds like you have reached the maximum travel for the motors, so moving the mirror slightly on it's plinth should resolve it.

As for making the plinths out of aluminium.. would you prefer them to be cast mild steel?!! :evil:

A big chunk of fibreglass the same shape probably wouldn't be any lighter than an aluminium casting.

oh i know, i was not sure if these were stock or just made aftermarket now . . . they are sturdy enough . . . i was expecting some fiber piece, but these work well. I am constantly amazed at how lotus "made due" with parts from other cars, and I think the mirrors look great on this car . . . the car is truly a classic, I mean look at how long it lasted in almost unchanged form . . .amazing . . . credit to stephens and the others.