free hit
counters
Production numbers and rare nose badge - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Production numbers and rare nose badge

Hello,

I hope someone can please help.

Two years ago I bought a 1985 Series 3 Turbo Esprit. I then joined the (State) as in Local, Lotus club, to meet and greet other fellow Lotus enthusists and gain there knowledge/opinions.

Some of the more senior club members are very wise, but it's hard to get a straight answer....sooooo here I go with my question.

How many 1985 series 3 Turbo esprit's were made and how many featured the triangular (in shape, sort of) nose badge on the bonnet, which has a green background and Goldish colour for the writing of "Lotus".

One club member said to me " The nose badge that you have is very rare and was only produced for a limited time (as in months or production units)

Furthermore he then said "Oh my god, you still have the original RUN in Sticker on your windscreen, which still looks brand new, this alone is worth a lot to a collector. Don't ever peel it off"

Is there any truth in this, or is he crazy?

I would be more than happy to submit photo's, I couldn't here because the size limit is 1000kb and most of my shots are 1.5MB or higher.

Any help or replies are greatly appreciated.

Graeme (Australia)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop beating around the bush.

NO

Posted Images

There were about 127 S3's made in 1985. As for the badge (kind of a specialty of mine) heres an excerpt from a previous post:

It was introduced by The new Chairman and head of BCA as he didn't want the Chapman association at the time. It was Oval, not round as past badges had been, it didn't include ACBC at all and the Lotus words were in a different font and interlinked. This was brought in in 1984, despite the protestaions of several Directors (MJK nearly quit because of it).

18 months later (give or take a while for stock to run out) MJK added in the ACBC part at the top of the badge. This again nearly ended MJK's career as it was done on his authority. The badge was still, however, BRG and oval. It wasn't until 2 years later (again give or take stocks running out) that they managed to change the Oval badge back to the badge we all know and love.

Because the Oval badges were only produced over a few years, they are rarer and more collectable, I have seen the metal/enamel badge in perfect condition go for

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Gaeme

My Turbo came off the production line 16 feb 1985 and has the same shape but black & gold badge. People often say stuff like worth a lot to a collector? I dont know how much it adds but I think if you can keep your car as original as practical as possible. Main thing you got to keep it running but dont change stuff if you dont need to. Thats my idea any how!

Buddsy

Edited by Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Hi Graeme and welcome to the forum.

Regarding the nose badge, are you talking about the GM badge?

Corplogo.jpg

If so, it's not that rare, have it on my 1987 Stevens Esprit. I think it was on all Lotus's from about 1984 when GM took Lotus over. It wasn't popular and was replace by the original badge a few years later.

I guess they're rare as Owner's (and previous Owners) tend to replace the ugly GM badge with the original, so you don't see them around so much!

GM took over in 1986 Mark. David Wickens designed the original Badge without ACBC and dad re-introduced it just before it was sold to GM. Eventually getting GM to agree to re-instate the original badge which you will notice is on all the Lotus Carltons.

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Wow! that is some quick and informative replies.

Yes Mark that is the exact badge I have on my bonnet, and thankyou everybody else who replied, you have been most helpfull.

My first thought when I bought the Excel was to switch to the round badge ASAP, but I now wear this badge with pride on the Excel (front bonnet and 2 on the b-pillars)

...ah yes, I also have the 'new' Lotus font on my speedlines...

regarding pictures, you could use some services like Imageshack.

tmp13676mra7.gif

By jimmybondi at 2008-03-27

Edited by jimmybondi

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Mark. Yours is more factually correct than Kato's. I'll have to have a word with him as his is all wrong. As I said, originally David Wickens totally removed the ACBC on the top part of the badge for the reason Kato stated, that he was in charge now not Colin Chapman.

Please feel free to confirm this with MJK, who, lets face it, was number 2 to Wickens so was knew exactly what was going on.

While we are talking about this, in my steering wheel is a black badge, I beleive standard for 1988, I don't like it, it may match the wheel, but I don't like it, I want a yellow and green one, "Like Lotus badges should be", but its a different size, smaller than the nose badge, any ideas where I can get one.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

try the factory, i recently bought a horn push but in black.

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

As you might know, the centre molding lifts off. So you could replace the whole moulding for an newer SE one, rather than just replace the badge, which might be easier. Keep an eye out on ebay or Douglas Valley might have some.

AtleEllefsen_11.jpg

One club member said to me " The nose badge that you have is very rare and was only produced for a limited time (as in months or production units)

Furthermore he then said "Oh my god, you still have the original RUN in Sticker on your windscreen, which still looks brand new, this alone is worth a lot to a collector. Don't ever peel it off"

Graeme,

I imported a 1985 S3 NA last year and it also has the triangular badge with smaller initials and overlapped LOTUS letters.

Dave Everett

• 12 years later...

Hey lotus lovers. I have read the posts above and have found them quite helpful. I have 2 lotus esprits s3's. My red one is 1985 and has a black badge with gold writing and my silver one is 1986 and has green and gold. See photo. Are these quite rare or unusual badges? Thanks in advance. (Photo attached).

20200619_162723.jpg

On my old excel I thought they looked crap so replaced them with the proper ones, rare or not.😁

• 1 month later...

Hi Helen

These are known as Wicken badges. Named after the then owner of lotus who introduced them.

Many Lotus fans hate them as Wickens even went on to produce some with out the ACBC (Colin Chapman) logo.

After a period of time Lotus went back to a more original badge type.

There is always lots of talk about black badge models being rarer and I think it may have been true for a time after Jim Clark died but after then Lotus would put on what ever they had.

I have the gold Wickens on my 85 Turbo Esprit and as I was 11 in 1985 thats the one I grew up with so I actually love it.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777