free hit
counters
HELP! USA 84 Turbo Tailgate Cable Broke - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TheKleaner

HELP! USA 84 Turbo Tailgate Cable Broke

I've got the service notes for 80-87 Esprit Turbos and there is little to no information regarding the tailgate release. Basically the solderless nipple came off the tailgate release cable and I can't open the tailgate. I've tried to remove the interior bulkhead panel but I can't figure out how the release handle is mounted (I did remove the one screw towards the bottom) but the handle itself is somehow attached to the bulkhead. Does it just pop off?

I read that the release mechanism can be reach through the license plate lights and i'm going to try this but any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. If possible I'd really like to avoid cutting or drilling a big hole in the back of the car.

I'd love to strangle whoever came up the this f&cked up design.

Well the license plate lights offered no help as they just access the flare on the tailgate and no access to the release mechansim...suggestions?

Edited by TheKleaner

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well I followed the LEW directions and was able to pull the cable thru but even pulling on it, the tailgate wont release and I have a big friggin hole in the back. Can anyone take a picture of the release machanism on each side so I can try to use a screw driver get it to release? Any other suggestions?

Well...that totally sucked! :(

I ended up cutting a huge hole behind the license plate. I cut it big enough so I could reach thru and manually release each catch. What made this more difficult is the fact that my lift struts were shot and I received the new ones in 3 days ago. Anyway here are a few pcitures of the destuction. Unlike the LEW explanation, my cable came completely out from both latches.

The middle image below is from driver side latch and the lower is the passenger side. I still can't believe this sh1tty design, who ever thought of this should be shot! Anyway, the driverside latch needs to be pushed forward and the passenger side needs to be pulled towards the back of the car. FYI there is nothing in the service notes 80-87 Esprit Turbo that shows or explains any of this either...how convenient. o_O As you can see I ended up cutting about a 7x3" hole in the back to get my arm in there (wish i didnt work out in this instance). The plan will be to cover this with a vent (a la LEW) or just put and aluminum cover over it and cock it in place. Now I have to find a replacement cable...Anyone know a source?

post-4396-1206653096.jpg

post-4396-1206653136.jpg

post-4396-1206653180.jpg

Edited by TheKleaner

Embarrassingly, I have just done the same cut-and-access job on my 1988 Esprit Turbo from behind the number plate assembly (managing to get it off without breaking it).  Not because the cable broke but because I undid it from inside the boot to slacken the lever in the cabin in order to fit new carpets. Half an hour later, I accidentally leaned on one side of the tailgate!

Don't jobs have a habit of escalating in complexity?

post-15334-0-93273100-1373447804.jpg

I'm human, just not like the rest! Why? ChromeLotusEsprit.com