free hit
counters
wind noise doors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CBrownstead

wind noise doors

When I was adding the wing mirrors and modding the window switches I noticed in the bottom of the drivers side door . . .or left door for US, the holes in the bottom of the door frame were both covered with some black foam, breathable . . .but the passenger side did not have this . . . so i purchased some from Home dep and glued it in the bottom, it did reduce the amount of air noise over at the passenger side . . . just wondered if anyone else has seen these? was it stock? mine certainly looked old enough to be stock . . . I also thought it may help prevent a little corrosion as it would allow less raw moisture in the door . . . and control temps a bit better in the winter . . . just FYI

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
When I was adding the wing mirrors and modding the window switches I noticed in the bottom of the drivers side door . . .or left door for US, the holes in the bottom of the door frame were both covered with some black foam, breathable . . .but the passenger side did not have this . . . so i purchased some from Home dep and glued it in the bottom, it did reduce the amount of air noise over at the passenger side . . . just wondered if anyone else has seen these? was it stock? mine certainly looked old enough to be stock . . . I also thought it may help prevent a little corrosion as it would allow less raw moisture in the door . . . and control temps a bit better in the winter . . . just FYI

I just noticed that foam in those holes over the weekend when I was cleaning her. However I am missing foam in some of the holes, maybe I should replace it ? jp

what kind of foam did you use? Wouldn't that have the opposite effect of trapping more moisture rather than allowing free air movement?

Hopefully, someone will shed some light on this subject?

I would think it would make it quiter, as the holes probably help the door to act like a drum when driving along.

Think i'll do something like this to mine

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I always thought those holes where to drain the water that accumulates in the door from the window? Neither one of my doors has any such foam in them. Now I am wondering if I should install something before I put the door panels back in.

you guys hit all the same questions I had . . . I did put some very pourous foam, gray stuff about 1 inch thick in . . .I think they are to drain the water . . . but the manuals show air flow through them . . . so not sure . . . fresh air? the foam cut the noise tremendously . . . so did fixing the door handles that the previous owner screwed up . . but that is another gripe. . . . just got my OZ Mono blocs on . . they make it look like a different car . . .

I'm still not convinced its a good idea to foam the holes. The manual states they are designed to allow air flow..... i dont know.

How can door handles be installed wrong? I ask this as I just installed new ones. I wonder if I installed them wrong?

yea, I think the foam thing is just me being "mr fix it", probably does not matter. My PO had screwed the door handles as tight as they would go against the fiberglass part of the door, and he had broken the clips that go on top and bottom of the handle. This mean there was a gap between the door skin and the handle and that the door skin did not hold as tightly. I think the handle actually pulls the door skin against the door frame a bit when installed tightly. the door handle on one side had some make shift screws that did not completly fit and thus it rattled when driving. I ordered new door plastics for about 10$ and fixed them in about 30 minutes, I cannot beleive some moron would drive around in this type car with the door handles in the shape he did. And the passenger side had so much play it would not lock and barely would open, the PO just said to open the door from the outside or put the window down and do it . . . some people are strange . . . I did have some fun figuring out how to get those plastic C pieces on. Once I found the little notches in them, this was perfect for a flat head screwdriver to lift them right into place . . .

Thanks Chris. Yeah my PO lost the keys for the car so you couldn't lock it and he managed to bend the handle itself when it wouldn't open or he got locked out. I wonder why people cheap out on stuff... The new handles look SOOOOOO much better.