free hit
counters
Driveshaft seal leak - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
westhamtim

Driveshaft seal leak

Evening all

I've just discovered a small pool of oil under the rear of the car and I'm 99% sure it's a driveshaft seal leak but I just need confirmation - any input based on the attached photo would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input on the silver area at the gearbox end of the driveshaft would be appreciated. Does it look right? I guess I'm looking at a few hours labour and

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

your O-ring inside the gearbox is leaking. Therefore the oil from inside can pass between inner shaft from gearbox and outer part of driveshaft . It can go outside at the pin hole (the drive shaft locking device, covered with silicone)

search "driveshaft" "o-ring" , driveshaft seal" in this forum... .

I think ,together with the 4 pot drivers, you are only one from thousand with that problem (me inclusive..)

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thanks Gunter. Just wanted the confirmation that's what it was, although as I said I was fairly sure. I'm an easily stressed Esprit owner and the sight of pools of liquid on the garage floor freaks me out a bit!

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Gunter. Just wanted the confirmation that's what it was, although as I said I was fairly sure. I'm an easily stressed Esprit owner and the sight of pools of liquid on the garage floor freaks me out a bit!

Cheers

Tim

hi Tim

sorry to hear they are playing up again! as you know i had 2 new shafts and thus the seals done twice - once cos they needed doing, then again only six weeks later after a shaft snapped (not cheap i'm sorry to say :rofl: )

but i'm pretty sure i left a new seal in the boot for you that i got when i thought i was gong to have the shaft out again for a different job...in the end it didnt need to come off however - so is it not still in the boot somewhere hiding in a corner? (a small saving but still!)

cheers

jim

p.s. fingers crossed for everything else!

Cheers - jim

Thanks Jim. I've got the seal and am booked in at the garage on Friday (so a w/e with no Esprit but the g/f's Dad is down so we'll have to make do with his Boxster!). The low coolant light has been coming on a bit of late and while I reckon it's probably the float (cleaned out yesterday but not driven since) I reckon I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get the radiator done too.

Hope the GT3 is treating you well.

Cheers

Tim

Lets us know how you get on, it can also be a leaking dust seal too the soft part of the seal sticking 5mm out from the geax box you can just see, but im leaning towards o-rings. Let us know what they find. :D Me and the other half just replaced ours, no leaks yet!!! Touch wood :P

350.gifNo.23

Thanks Jim. I've got the seal and am booked in at the garage on Friday (so a w/e with no Esprit but the g/f's Dad is down so we'll have to make do with his Boxster!). The low coolant light has been coming on a bit of late and while I reckon it's probably the float (cleaned out yesterday but not driven since) I reckon I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get the radiator done too.

Hope the GT3 is treating you well.

Cheers

Tim

Tim - for info, the rad is not original, it was re-cored back in 2004 (i think?)

My driveshaft was leaking, and it turned out not to be the O ring, but the split pins that were allowing oil to leak out.

There are two of them, and they are meant to be fitted at 180 degrees to each other, and smeared with silicone before fitting.

I replaced mine, siliconed the replacements up, and they've been fine ever since.

The o ring seal can be a pain to replace if you follow the manual. It says to coat it with that sticky 'wellseal' stuff. I scrapped a seal trying to fit it because of that. Wellseal is not a particularly good lubricant!

Definitely use silicone instead, as it's a better lubricant. It's a very tight squeeze getting that seal in.

Edited by Glyn Harper

Thanks for all feedback & help. Car is now back with me. Drive seal is fixed (not sure if it was the seal or the pin), radiator has been re-cored. Hats off to Steve at Morland Jones who was great throughout and a very nice fellow to boot. Also took a look at my aircon and fitted new front pads at

Hi Tim,

I am investigating an AP disc upgrade to my car at the moment. I need to have new disc mounting bells and caliper mounting brackets machined but then I will have the choice of 330mm x 32mm or 343mm x 32mm AP discs. This whole project should easily fall under 2.5k.

I won't have any news for about 3 weeks but I will post again when I know more. I suspect the more that are made the more attractive the price will be. :thumbup:

cheers

-Chris

PNM Engineering have Sport 350 spec discs and bells for a fraction of the price of the original.

I've got them fitted to mine.

Edited by Glyn Harper

I don't think the PNM discs are the same spec as the originals (not saying they are no good mind you). I don't think they are 32mm thick.

cheers

-Chris