free hit
counters
"POP OFF" VALVE - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nanardos

"POP OFF" VALVE

Hi,

Could someone explain to me where the turbo "pop off" valve is located on a 1987 turbo HCI ?

(any picture ?).

Nanardos

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi

Simon is right about the fuel pressure regulator, but our car does not have it in the location he is thinking about. The HCI was mostly introduced for the US market to meet strict EPA regulations. My car is practically the same as yours. It is a 1986 HCI, and I since I had it for a year, I learned a lot about it. I also rebuilt the engine.

Your fuel pressure regulator is incorporated into the fuel distributor of the mass air sensor. The mass air sensor is the device on the right side, underneath the air filter box.

As for pop off valve, I am pretty sure that this car does not have one. It does have an overboost switch that is in the right hand side on top of the fuel tank board. It cuts out the ignition in the event of a wastegate failure, or overboost condition.

The wastegate is located on the left side bottom. It is bolted to the auxiliary manifold next to the left tire.

Let me know if you have any other questions-mayber I can help. I got tons of photos for this car as well.

mark

Hi Mark,

Since you seem to know this car very well, may be you can help me:

My problem is the following:

. the car starts fine at the first turn of key but it won't rev above 2800 / 3000 rpm and the turbo will not engage

. I have replaced the secondary "pressure" pump, but no improvement

. The 15a primary "feed" pump fuse blows as soon as I accelerate .

When I replace it with a 20a the car goes up to 4000/ 5000 pm, the turbo engages, but the car still "jumps" a lot.

. I have checked all the relays, etc: no problem

I have read in the manual that a limiter cuts out the engine above 2800 rpm if one of the fuel pumps does not work

. the previous owner (In te USA) tols me I should check the pop off valve (I don't understand why)

. I am considering replacing the primary "feed" pump

Any other suggestion are welcome

Nanardos

Hi Mark,

The fuse that is blowing is that of the primary feed pup which I have not replaced yet...