free hit
counters
V8 Engine - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jonesl

V8 Engine

All,

Having recently been for a drive in my '99 V8, I noticed at idle that

the engine was somewhat noisier that normal.. sounded like a 'camy' 'tappety' sound from the left bank (top end knock???) - cars done 45k..

Everthing else seems normal (oil, water etc) except for noise - which of course is difficult to explain..

Any ideas?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you hear a tapping noise. Stop driving it.

1. what type of fuel have you been putting in the car? Bad or lower octane gases can cause knock which can lead to valve damage.

2. In any event, I would take it to a service center. When was the last time you had your cam belts adjusted?

3. It could be a valve problem. Hopefully it's not, as that could lead to a top end rebuild.

4. Have you checked your spark plugs? You do have power when it was driven, correct? No sluggishness?

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

So, when you start it up, it ticks. While you're driving, if the car is idling after it is warm it goes away?

Mitsubishi motors had the same problem, except their motors were designed to do that. I'm not sure. Perhaps it's a lubrication issue. What type of oil do you use (Brand and weight)? Oh, that is a total shot in the dark.

I would still check the spark plugs.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

I think I know what it is.. Sounds like a hydraulic tappet sticking...

When for a spin in it last night and the noise went as soon as I got up some speed.

It was then OK at idle and for about 15min drive. Car sitting in drive when the

temp got up enought to kick in the fans the noise started again... I think the oil

may be at question.. It's Mobil 1 0-40 and it's been in the engine for about 4k so

I'm going to change it at the weekend and see how it goes...

Cheers

The recommended weight for V8 Esprits is 15w50. That may be part of your issue. I use Redline 15w50 in my car. A lot of Esprit owners I know uses the same brand/weight. I've been told that 10w40 is to light of a weight for our cars due to the temperatures that the V8 motors can reach. It breaks down the viscosity of lighter oils very quickly. Hopefully when you change your oil, it will resolve the issue.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

I have a little "tappet sound" at first startup. It may last a couple of seconds after I start it but then immediately goes away. I have noticed that if I start the car at least every three days I do not hear the noise at all.

I think if the car sits too long the majority of the oil drains back to the sump and it take about a couple of seconds to pump the oil back to the heads. IMO as long as the "sound" goes away you should be ok. But if you hear it at consant idle or at a higher RPM get it checkout ASAP

If the car sits for more than a week the sound is more noticeable but aways goes away in a couple of seconds. Another reason to drive the car at least twice a week.

I use the Mobil 1 15w50 oil in mine.

JoeyO

2001 V8

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098