free hit
counters
WHITE/ORANGE LENS for front lamps on 1987 ESPRIT - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
nanardos

WHITE/ORANGE LENS for front lamps on 1987 ESPRIT

Hi,

The french administration demands a two color lens at the front of the car.

(orange for the turn lamp and white for the side lamp)

My car (that comes from the USA) is fitted with all orange lenses.

Does anyone know where I can find the two color lenses ?

(I heard Lotus used to fit Lancia parts on their cars)

Regards

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Peter at PNM Engineering I believe has them, try there.

Tel: (uk code) (0) 1516306101

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

One of the sides was available brand new on sale via the lotus Web Site about 8 months ago. Since the website was redesigned I can't find it, but I'd source the part nos and email the factory. Do this BEFORE you go via a dealer. If you try a dealer first they may well mark up the price.

Edit

Just checked my records, the one I got was Part No A075M6028W priced at

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

If these are the same as the early Stevens, give me a PM as I have a cheap source for them if you are talking abou the sidelight/indicator lens in the front bumper.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Weren't they the same as the indicators on the original Mini Clubman? If so, then ebay or miniworld.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

They're Mini Clubman.

Try Lotusbits.com, Mike usually has some - occasion.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi All

Unless there was a difference between the domestic & export Mini Clubmans (but I really don't think so), it won't be a BL part that Narnado needs. I'm quite sure the S1's & S2's used the Mini part, and the S3's onwards used something else.

Here's a pic of my Mini Clubman

2007_0418Mini0065.jpg

(yes a bit battered but goes like hell!!!)

And I'm assuming the '87 used the same lights as my old '84?

f3b6130a.jpg

If so, different part. If not, please will someone confirm?

Cheers - Mark

Edited by markt

Anyone know if you can get ones which aren't orange. One of mine is cracked so I'm expecting an MOT failure and have only seen those which Mat gave the link for.

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

A guy asked me at Donnington to make some clear Lucas S3 indicators. I would need 2 firm orders. I need to make a mould and then they are hand cast to an excellent standard. Only trouble is that they retail for

You can get them for about a fiver each if you know where to go :D

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi all,

A very confusing thread here. There are at least three different type of front indicator with no real definative model when they swapped over.

You have Lucas linear from mini clubman fitted to S1, S2 and some early S3's

You then have Lucas Circular which are fitted upto 85 I think (could be 87).

Then you have Cobos fitted to late G cars and Stevens.

As for Chriss getting them for

The ones I had were the circular pattern, but one was cracked. I replaced them with a straight type which are slightly smoked. I wasn't to bothered about orginality, and to be honest they look better. There was no way I was paying

Amateurs built the Ark

I found white and orange front indicator (in-front bumper ) lenses at http://www.elanfactory.com.au/

Send inquiry to Steve at Email: [email protected]

They have many other coooool custom parts, check their catalog:

http://www.elanfactory.com.au/pdf/product_catalogues/Catalogue%20-%20Lotus%20Esprit%20parts.pdf

They are from a Ford TW25 tractor,

Amateurs built the Ark

A friend of mine just brought me a set of the orange & white Cobos from the UK...and I find that they require modifications to fit.

As stated in another thread, the protrusion inside with the scew-hole in it must be shortened by about 1 cm.

I also found that the Cobo lens has rounder corners than the Lucas, requiring the ride on the backside to be notched at the corners to fit into the housing's groove properly. This and the previous modification are super-easy with a rotary tool loaded with a cutoff wheel.

But the real fitment problem that I'm still scratching my head over is the fact that the screw holes are 1/4" farther apart on the Cobo lens than they are on the Lucas item; they don't even come close to lining up with the screw holes in the housing!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I'd suggest drilling the new lenses at an angle so that the screw head sits in the normal place but goes into the Lucas housing at an angle, then use a rubber washer behind the head to keep the water seal in tact. There's not a lot of force required on those screws and if you're really worried you could always apply epoxy adhesive round the screw thread "tube" of plastic to keep it together.

A friend of mine just brought me a set of the orange & white Cobos from the UK...and I find that they require modifications to fit.

Ditto on my '83 Turbo. Still unused new Cobos on left, old Lucas on right...

post-6978-0-32021700-1324253814.jpg

Main difference seems to be the depth, Cobos being a few mils more, but the face dimensions seem the same.

If anyone wants the Cobos I'll sell them at a discount, still new in the box.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

I'd suggest drilling the new lenses at an angle so that the screw head sits in the normal place but goes into the Lucas housing at an angle, then use a rubber washer behind the head to keep the water seal in tact. There's not a lot of force required on those screws and if you're really worried you could always apply epoxy adhesive round the screw thread "tube" of plastic to keep it together.

I actually devised a better solution. I drilled with a 3/32" bit into the Lucas housings right between the screw-hole-boss and the shallow angle next to it, which was the perfect spot to line up with the wider-spaced holes on the Cobos. I then used #6 x 1-1/4" screws into those freshly-drilled holes. The screws go in nice and straight with the heads flat in their recesses. The result couldn't be better.

Main difference seems to be the depth, Cobos being a few mils more, but the face dimensions seem the same.

That and I think the old Lucases look a bit dingey in comparison- not as bright and brilliant. The Cobos are indeed a bit thicker, which puts the front faces closer to the plane of the bumper-face, which means that the lenses don't look so much like they're stuck down a hole.

Here's how my car looks now:

Esprit-Lens-004-M.jpg

Esprit-Lens-005-M.jpg

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad