free hit
counters
V8 Dashboard - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RAB

V8 Dashboard

First time poster so be gentle with me - not sure this is the right place for this but here goes...

I have a 1998 Esprit V8 and love it - but one thing bugs me - the fake walnut dashboard! I've seen pictures of the later V8's that appear to have a brushed aluminum one - anyone know if a upgrade kit of any type is available?

Tried searching t'internet but can't seem to find anything?

Any pointers much appreciated....

Cheers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Phil,

I expect Richard has the old style instrument binacle so that brushed aluminium facia won't help. He needs a guide or a kit to change the interior dashboard layout to the post 98 style.

Sorry Richard I can't help with that and I expect it will be a more complicated task than you might imagine. Many people have changed the wood surround for carbon fibre or just painted the wood. I am sure someone will point you in the right direction.

cheers

-Chris

I'm changing from the old style to the new style dash at the moment.. albeit from an 88 model.

The wiring is all different, as the switches are in a different place. Also, the cutout in the upper dash is different, as is the cross beam under the dash that it all bolts to.

So, to change to the newer style you need to change

1. The internal wiring loom (or do a tonne of wiring)

2. The main dashboard

3. The cross beam for the dashboard.

Not an easy task, as I'm finding.

Thanks for the responses -

Phil - I found that after I posted the thread but as Chris quite rightly says I have the older style.

Mark - do you have any pictures of what it looks like? any website I can look at for examples?

Glynn - I was hoping not to make such a drastic change - was wondering if there was anything like Phil pointed out for the newer ones - just something I could put over the top or replace the existing one with fairly simply?

Thanks for the feedback!

Painting it is the simpliest way and look good.

Raymond

post-809-1207048297.jpg

post-809-1207048313.jpg

Raymond

Yellow V8 in HK

Changing to the later style 'round' dash is a nightmare.. trust me!

But I like the challenge which is why I'm doing it :)

As Raymond says.. either paint it, or change it for a carbon overlay.

I think you can also get the plastic overlays as well, to replace the walnut altogether. Check with Lotus if these are available for your car.

I suppose it all depends on personal taste really.