free hit
counters
memories - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Antiques

memories

Guest Antiques

My great est memory was opening the door of a brand new s3 in the showroom,and sitting in it ,with the celophane still on the seats.That new ness smell of any new car ,is doubled in a new esprit.The rich smell of the connelly hide,blending with the newness of thE other materials ,Ah heaven sheer heaven,Whats yours?James/Antiques

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It was the Lotus Elite, the original one, back in the 50

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi,

Hot summers day in 1978, My first Lotus open day, and the day that started the Esprit passion. Sitting in the James Bond S1 drivers seat and having my photo taken, having to sit on my legs to gain height because I couldn't see above the window frame, age 13.

1980, next open day I attended, seeing Colin Chapman walking in the crowds, no one noticing he was there until the loud speaker man said he was there. Seeing the James Bond Turbo Esprits at this event, also all the 'proper' F1 cars.

The beauty about the James Bond cars and F1's are they were almost new vehicles, JB S1 about a year old, JB turbo Esprits about the same, F1's also about a year old.

Owen.

Seeing a JPS liveried Europa darting through the streets of a seaside town aged 6

Mesmerized by 007 driving his white S1 up a beach aged 9

Rooted to the spot looking at a new Championship Gold S2 at a country fair

In love with 007s copper coloured Turbo in the snowy mountains aged 13

Staring open mouthed as a wealthy neighbour pulled up in his new copper coloured Elite Riviera aged 14

Never really wanted anything since really...................

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

My first memory is sitting in one at the 1976 motor show when it was released. Also got Chapman's autograph on an Esrit sales leaflet at the same show (but lost it years ago).

Then there was Car Magazine's disappointing review of the first drive but it turned out that their car had the wrong tire pressures leading to bad understeer.

Next is seeing a JPS edition turning into a car dealer's on the Allesley Road in Coventry.

Then there was the turbo and the rave reviews.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Lotus Seven at the Do-it-Yourself Exhibition at Olympia in Nineteen Diddly-Dum. I were a lad..and I thought "I could build that!!" And. finally, I am about to build something..as opposed to rebuilding...it's an Edge Devil with a 2.6 V6 Audi transaxle and a Motodyne supercharger.. a Google search will reveal what it looks like, if you don't know...and it's even better in the flesh, so to speak. That'll be this winter's project, then.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I can't just narrow it down to one!

My first great Lotus memory was walking into my Uncle's strange dark garage and seeing a very oddly shaped car under a heavy cover. He pulled the cover up to reveal the side of the '74 Elite he had since college. I didn't even see the whole car, mostly the door and the rear corner but I remember thinking, 'wow, I've never seen any car that looked like this. I gotta have it!'

My second great memory was the day, over a year later, that I rebuilt one of the carburetors on the Elite, reattached it and the car roared (er, sputtered) to life for the first time in over a decade. Great feeling.

Then was the day my Esprit arrived and it's just been once great memory since then!

being parked next to a maclaren mercedes in asda car park and my s2 getting more attention than the merc

Do you need to ask? Read my article that was published in Lotus Club International and it reads:

"What are you going to be in life when your earliest memory is of your dads first new Lotus? A purple Elan +2. I must have been 4 years old and I still remember it

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Seeing my first S4 in the flesh at 'Bell & Colvill'. Wow what a sight.

Also knowing that one day I was going to buy one of these fabulous machines.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Guest Antiques

As im new to the forum i wasnt sure if Anthony was actually the son of Mike Kimberley,now that i know he is ,its an even bigger honour to belong to the forum,James/Antiques

You obviously don't know me well enough James :D

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)