free hit
counters
splitters - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

i have massive front end lift, at the show on sunday alan croft showed me a race elise with a plywood splitter sticking out the front, im thinking of putting a 1" lip all the way round the front of mine, and maybe have tiny struts on the front to hold it. how much (if any) downforce will this give me would you think?

if it wouldnt work at all then i wont bother, the other option is put on the rubber lip but juston the corners as on mine it cant go across the front, but i know this will hit my drive.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd suggest that downforce from a lip or splitter won't be effective below the NSL in the UK and that your suspension needs to be set up correctly before you consider adding aerodynamic aids.

When I read the topic title, I thought of these...

pfj.jpg

:evil:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well if the splitter weighs say 1kg, it'll give you about 1kg of extra down force on the front up to around 70 mph! :evil:

As Bibs said already really....

Peoples front of Judea.....?

i have fully adjustable suspension anyway, prob needs lifting a little LOL, oh well will consentrate on the rear diffuser then, just for looks of course as its me, going all elise esk i think.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Have had a couple of cars with carbon splitters, yes they do work when proceeding a at reasonable pace but the downforce I thought was not of enough benefit to out weigh the drag that is created when travelling at high speeds.

and yes one was on a noddy crap little metro with a 1.8VVC engine on carbs but the other was on my RS 500. They both came to a sticky end, as did the cat and the rabbit!!

Splitters and diffusers etc do work if designed and fitted correctly, just not at lower (as in road) speeds.

For a diffuser to work, you need to have an under tray beneath the engine compartment also...... I know the majority of people who saw my car at the show just thought there was something hanging off the rear bumper but it goes a lot further forwards than that! - All the way to the front in fact!!

I'm sure you'd be better off with a nice carbon roof instead.....?!! :evil:

the other option is put on the rubber lip but juston the corners as on mine it cant go across the front, but i know this will hit my drive.

Karl, how about using your modding skills to sort out your drive! :evil:

Phil

98GT3

lol, the drive doesnt even look like it should be a problem but it is.

yeah i would love a carbon roof, but only got so much cash and a carbon wing lol. need

to sort the rear/interior and spray first i think.

Now the wing and roof are great suggestions!!!

Oh no Karl is using my ideas, Do I need to lie down???? lol

Oh and that was Steve's Motor Sport Elise btw (lol)

Cheers

Edited by th4neuk

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Talon's got a nice bit of CF kit on the front of his car and he dosent have too much trouble with it. Although I can now rave about the S350/2002+ lower splitters working superb at 155mph :evil: I stressed about this lower splitter getting ripped off over speed bumps bad driveways. Its not too bad. theres obviously some driveway entrances youll never attempt in any Esprit but thats life with a supercar :evil:

350.gifNo.23

Popular Peoples front of judea.....

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I seem to remember that if you raise the back suspension slightly and lower the front slightly, you can combat some front end lifting.

I had this with mine a couple of years back.

I live on the Isle of Man where our national speed limit is whatever you want (as long as you are not driving recklessley/dangerousley or racing).

I was getting front lift above about 85. Raised the back and it fixed it.

I don't think you're rear wing will be producing too much downforce. I think they only have an effect at the outer 4 inches or so.. The majority of the middle of the wing is in such turbulent air, it doesn't produce much downforce unless you're at F1 speeds!

The shape of the car itself, and it's angle of attack will be causing your lift.

But I'm no aerodynamics expert.. just relaying the various things I've heard over the years.

Edited by Glyn Harper

remember though my wing is altered and alot more angle in the centre, i have rub marks on my bodywork where the wing touches it when it bends, 1" flex.

i will just drive slower and be more of a attention whore, that should solve it, "can i take a photo" oh ok if you must AGAIN!!!!

Try putting enough weight on the wing to produce 1" flex, then measure where the nose is, or how much it has risen, personally I took my rear wing off, see the LEW web site.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

You know if you take your rear wing off, you're meant to fit the larger transom lip thing. (whatever it's called).

If you look at the back of a V8GT without a wing, you'll see what I mean.

This prevents rear end lift, which leads to catastrophic oversteer at high speed.

Try putting enough weight on the wing to produce 1" flex, then measure where the nose is, or how much it has risen, personally I took my rear wing off, see the LEW web site.

Roger

Is it lift? or Understeer? Scrubbing in the slow corners? Or really light steering at speed?

Adjust suspension, slightly softer in the fron than in the rear, adjust toe, I like toe-out similar to the V8 @ 0.1 deg toe-out per side. Adjust suspension height.

Like Kylie said, you could try lowering the front, and raising the rear, but the Lotus X180-R race cars actually ran a bit higher in the front than in the rear ~148mmR, ~156mm F.

I cured my understeer with a little toe-out in front, adjustable suspension set 2 clicks softer in the front (rear full stiff), and V8 wheels & tires.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

You know if you take your rear wing off, you're meant to fit the larger transom lip thing. (whatever it's called).

If you look at the back of a V8GT without a wing, you'll see what I mean.

This prevents rear end lift, which leads to catastrophic oversteer at high speed.

Glyn - karl's car started life as a GT3 so it will already have a large transom :D

I just replaced my splitter and lowered the front end about 1/4 inch when I uprated the suspension. I've had the car north of 160mph with no front end lift . I'm not sure how much downforce the splitter contributes, but I'd doubt it's very much.

I need to get a better pic of the splitter, especially since this was taken before the suspension was lowered.

DSC02078.JPG

Edited by talon

love the splitter talon, im asuming its a one off?

Edited by karluk29

Like Kylie said, you could try lowering the front, and raising the rear, but the Lotus X180-R race cars actually ran a bit higher in the front than in the rear ~148mmR, ~156mm F.

Nah Glyn said that, I prefer the OEM S350 set up. :P

350.gifNo.23

Nah Glyn said that, I prefer the OEM S350 set up. :P

Oh, right... I need reading lessons.

Well, you only prefer the Sport 350 because you haven't driven the X180-R race cars... or street cars, since they are USA only :P

I've driven both :(

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Oh, right... I need reading lessons.

Well, you only prefer the Sport 350 because you haven't driven the X180-R race cars... or street cars, since they are USA only :P

I've driven both :P

Now your showing off. I might be coming over your way early next year so I might be demanding pax rides off ya!! B)

350.gifNo.23