free hit
counters
Taken rear wing off to refurbish - pics - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Taken rear wing off to refurbish - pics

Just pulled my wing off to replace blown out cracked gaskets that looked terrible and take over to a friend whos an expert in giving advice on repairing delamination in CF products such as this. So will report back with what I will do.

I thought while I am at it to post up pics of what actually holds it all together for other people to see who want to repair theirs.

Theres two bolts underneath the hatch on both sides. One on each side is hidden under tape which you peel back to find and the two are exposed. Loosen off bolts and on the passenger side lift the uprights partially to expose the wiring. There are two plugs hidden in the bottom of the alloy uprights, gently free them and disconnect both plugs. Free all bolts and take off. This is what remains underneath

rearwinglightplugsonrearhatch.jpg

And this is whats connected to the uprights, notice the gasket has seen better days.

DSC03336.jpg

End plates and uprights attached to CF wing by these bolts to undo if sanding back wing.

rearwingsideplates.jpg

rearwinguprightboltsattachingtowing.jpg

Delamination and patches to repair.

delaminationofwing.jpg

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oo close up that looks nasty. Hope your guy can fix it for you. Fingers crossed.

Didn't realise the uprights were painted.

I now know how much of a pig they are to make as well, quick go polished lol.

Good luck with it.

Can you get new gaskets or are you having some made??

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Geday Alan, the alloy uprights and end plates are not painted and appear brushed or matt appearance. The photos arent the best sorry.

The bad news is that I cant just sand back and re clear. the yellowing that you can see is twice as bad as the pic shows and is actually infused in the epoxy which is in the carbon fibre. Its been repaired before VERY BADLY and I will need to sand all this off and test patch some clear polyester with UV properties and see if I get good tack. My mate whos a mad scientist who develops these products is going to help me re skin the the whole wing again. We will clear some space in his lab and make a day of it in the next few weeks when time allows.

I got some proper hardend rubber thats suitable from our engineer at my work who gave me a enough to cut out 6 gastets. I will just make up a cardbaord template and trace off the bottom of the uprights and get the slots and bolt holes exact. Then cut them out.

BTW the whole wing weighs in at 5kg, but mines got extra clear on it from the last patch up job. I just wanted to weigh before and after I reskined it :D

350.gifNo.23

Nice one,

Well hopefully you can get it looking the way it should. Probably be better than new once you have finished with it lol.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I think the factory struts and endplates are just beadblasted and anodised. They won't be painted, but they won't be just plain aluminium either or they'd go powdery.

My engineer pal made the uprights and endplates for mine, by tracing some originals I borrowed. I then sent them away to be anodised. Sadly, the anodised finish was really rough blotchy, so I ended up painting them anyway! But I got them done the same colour as my magnesio wheels so they look quite good in fact.

Always use stainless bolts when putting the wing back together, and use loctite. Zinc plated ones will eventually lock in and you won't get them out. If you don't use loctite, stainless and aluminium tend to react a bit when they are in direct contact, and lock together more than you would like!

Lotus had a load of problems with the early Sport 350 spoilers. The resin didn't have the correct UV protection in, and I believe there were a number of warranty claims. Although yours is number 23, so I would have thought they'd have sorted it by then.

I actually painted my spoiler body colour. Partly because I didn't want it to degrade, and partly because I didn't think a natural carbon spoiler matched a black car. The colours are too close together, and it looked naff. The same goes for my sunroof which is also carbon. It looked awful, so that got painted too.

Some people think it's a shame to paint carbon, as it is beautiful to look at.. but on the other hand what do we have to prove? we know it's carbon :P

• 1 month later...

Update, wing was back on for a while with new gaskets till I got hold of some CF twill and spare time that suited both of us to tackle the tricky part. Wing all dismantled again now ready for wet and dry sanding in my art room and will spend next two days getting it prepped. This Sat and Sun booked so will post more pics soon. :shock:

Edited to add wing weighs 5kg assembled and 2.5kg stripped of parts

wingdismantledundersidejune08.jpg

dismantedwingtopsideviewjune08.jpg

Edited by kyliesmith.com
350.gifNo.23

A labour of love.... good luck / hope you get the finish that you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Yeah, i bet it will be clean and perfect -as we know your car-preferences (an artwork to) B)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I'd try and put it somewhere really warm and dry until you get it painted..

The carbon/epoxy finish on some wings (like mine) is very porous. As you have used water to sand it, some may have gone into the pores.

If any remains when it's re gelled, it may gas off on hot days and cause bubbles or blooming in the finish.

I think in Aus, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding somewhere warm and dry!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, its finished and just picked it up today, so here are some pics from the boot of my car !! It was two pack cleared and was further post cured in the booth at around 60deg. There are a few little blemishes on the join lines and where cuts were made to work the CF over the uprights and window for light but other than that the overall finish is a million times better than what it was, so I am really really pleased.

IMG_2009.jpg

Underside end

IMG_2013.jpg

Top side

IMG_2010.jpg

Leading edge

IMG_2003.jpg

Underside high stop brake light

IMG_2002.jpg

Side of high stop brake light

IMG_2014.jpg

Tailing edge top side

350.gifNo.23

Kylie is our 'glimmer-girl' now :thumbup:

cool and shiny !!

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Excellent !

That is more like it.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Wing all fitted with new gaskets and new flat head screws with usual anti seize muck, the original bolts were put in dry after the previous repair and were locked dead, was a mare removing them. Overall a job worth doing. I am also happy to say the weight remained unchanged. This was because I stripped off as much as I could before the CF went on to allow for the thickness etc. The most important factor was keeping the same overall original shape which I think was achieved. Woohooo!

Newrearwingandgasketsmountedtocarju.jpg

350.gifNo.23

• 5 months later...

Hi Kylie,

my rear wing appears to be doing the exact same thing as yours. Did you have yours recovered in new Caron Fibre or just sand back and re clear coat? I haven't had much to do with CF in the past. I will try post some close up pic's.

Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick yes post some detailed pics so we can have a closer look. It really depends what colour your wing has gone and what the surface defects are. This will determine if you need to just sand back and reclear or do a proper strip and reskin it. My blemishes had gone right through to the core and the yellowing was also infused into the carbon fibre so I decided to get it done properly. A bit of a mjor but worth it, so far so good. Its had many punishing days out in the sun at car meets and nothing has raised its ugly head yet!! As you know the sun is harsh over here so I used a polyester system of that used on surf boards that can withstand high levels of UV abuse and wont go yellow. So fingers crossed. The CF twill is similar size to original.

350.gifNo.23

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just looking at a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera (in grey naturally!).

The carbon work was nice, much nicer than the original Lotus Sport 350 wing... less dry

But Kylie's looks as glossy, definitely an improvement!

Also looked at a blue LP 550-2 Balboni they had for high altitude testing.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• 3 months later...

Of all the one liners I could come up with...............you have one of only 2 types of Esprit which benefits aerodynamically and aesthetically from a wing. So I have to say "I like it"

Roger :(

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)