free hit
counters
Grrrr - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just got a letter of intended prosecution from the lovely people at Northumbria Police... :D

'CONTRAVENING DOUBLE WHITE LINES', it says

i'm confused...i never overtake on double white lines...the only thing i can think of is i had overtaken someone and then wasn't back on my side of the road in time...

Does anyone know how i go about getting to see the photo/video of this?

i'm now off in the Lotus to try and find the spot where it was...knowing my luck i'll probably get done again

I'm just happy that the police have their priorites absolutely spot on. Thanks guys, great job, keep up the good work... :P

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can ask the Police to see a copy. They can't say no. If they don't have it they can't use it as evidence.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Might be a parking offence. Happened to me years ago . Parked opposite a continuous and broken double line when out for a meal in a resturant. Thought I was ok. Lots of other cars parked as well, and a broken line. But no the continuous line made it an offence to park.

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Just remember, you have money, the Government wants it, therefore we can expect more of the same in the future. YOU are the enemy. The Police are simply uniformed tax collectors/bailiffs. Get the proof before paying anything as the Police are likely to have lost it due to their institutional imcompetence. Smash the state and free the people, particularly the driving people.....

lol Smac...

Just got in from checking out the scene of the crime...I remember coming over the brow of a hill behind a car and a lorry...i MAY have moved out from behind the car and inadvertently crossed the solid white lines before they became broken, but before i could put my foot down, the car in front of me pulled out and overtook the lorry...it was at this point i noticed the camera van in the distance so i pulled back in behind the lorry to save the possibility of getting a speeding ticket as i was overtaking. So is crossing the line an offence or do you have to overtake???

I suppose if the picture shows me in the other lane i could say, 'yes but i was reversing up the hill on a blind bend on the other side of the road...' I'm fairly sure there's not a court in the land that would convict me.

I will ask the 'police' for a copy of the photo Kimbers...

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

I would point out your tax pays for the camera to be a speed camera not a crossing the white line camera then ask for your tax back that has paid for said camera..........

seriously though...... tell them the lorry braked suddenly (they would/could not see this from their position) and to avoid a collision you had to cross the white line. you deamed it safe as there were no approaching vehicles. Apparently this happens lots because you driving a lotus and Mr Lorry like all other road users are jelous.......

Edited by Setras
So is crossing the line an offence or do you have to overtake???

Unfortunately as the NIP says the offence is contravening the white line - you do not have to be overtaking in order to commit the offence.

Having said that in the good old days you would probably have had a ticking off if seen by an officer but unlikely a prosecution if as you say there was nothing coming the over way. These days with the cameras it is a black and white thing (sorry for the pun!) - there is no leway for the police to make a judgment call as to whether to prosecute.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350
So is crossing the line an offence or do you have to overtake???

I will ask the 'police' for a copy of the photo Kimbers...

It is an offence just to cross the white line. If they have the evidence, then I am sure they will prosecute. Same happened to my friend about 8 weeks ago.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

It is in fact lawful to overtake ( bike overtaking bike for example) as long as you don't cross the line when doing so.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Just go into court and say:

1) It was not me. I was off having a trist with some hookers and I did not even notice my car was gone! After all, it was there when I came back? Must have been the valet parking guy?

2) Look at the photo! My car is not grey! It is red. How can you proove this is my car in black and white? The plate? Please... I put a different one on everytime I go for a drive like everyone else!

3) I was in a hurry. I was told by two of the sexiest girls you have ever seen that if I arrived at the flat in time, i could join in whatever they were doing with each other! Come on... what would you have done?

4) I'm sorry, are you trying to say that I was crossing the white lines in a Lotus? Who makes that? This looks like a Lamborghini in the photo? I don't own a Lamborghini. Are you sure it was a Lotus? Who makes that again?

5) Have you noticed in the photo, sir, that the driver side is on the right! Good God man how do you expect me to follow all the line laws and shift with the left hand as well?... Yes, I am English but I do not know about the car, I think it is Italian and therefore the pavement should be in a seperate location in relation to the line....

You know, just go in circles with the usual...

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Puting my anarac on - it is also legal to overtake on a solid white line, if the vehicle you are overtaking is doing less than 10mph (it goes without saying - it also has to be safe to overtake at that time)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Puting my anarac on - it is also legal to overtake on a solid white line, if the vehicle you are overtaking is doing less than 10mph (it goes without saying - it also has to be safe to overtake at that time)

Ian, you might be a man to know this then...

When you have a waiting area in the middle of the road to turn right,

there is always a hatched solid white line section before it. I always wait

on this pained bit if the queue extends onto it (otherwise i'd be stopping

the traffic behind me from passing).

Is this bookable? as they are solid lines too.

:D

:D @ Cameron...

That's 6 points I will have now...all through driving the company van and trying to make a living...i dont mind the

Having said that in the good old days you would probably have had a ticking off if seen by an officer but unlikely a prosecution if as you say there was nothing coming the over way. These days with the cameras it is a black and white thing (sorry for the pun!) - there is no leway for the police to make a judgment call as to whether to prosecute.

Not necessarily tho - Dave. Got done for that in 1978 - just after I traded my van for a proper car (Triumph GT6). I'd been following a line of cars (I was 4th) for ages and finally got to a straight bit. Past all three safely and within the speed limit, but didn't get back to my own side until 5yds into the start of a solid line at the bottom of an uphill bit. Unfortunately, there ware two coppers at the top of the hill - and one stepped out into my path and pulled me over. It had all been so safe, I didn't actually realise what I'd done wrong til they told me and pointed out where I'd crossed the line. Got a TS20 endorsement and the std fine....no better off than I would have been with a scamera - except of course there weren't as many coppers even then as there are scameras now so many other mistakes went unnoticed that might now be recorded!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

We've been here before........

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

I'm afraid if you cross the double white lines you have broken the rules. If the van spotted it then it doesn't matter if it is a speed camera van, you've still committed an offence and they can do you.

Sorry! :D:P

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hard luck Hippo. Take solace from the fact you were probably one of the few people on that road with a licence, tax and insurance. No wonder there are so many petty prosecutions - it must be a lottery knowing who will or won't even bother turning up in court. It's descending into anarchy, folks - when the goodwill of the average bloke is lost, the game is up.

They're still more human here on The Rock though...

Heartbreak turned to joy yesterday afternoon - on my way home from work I called in to the local Yamaha dealership on a town street here to collect a new battery for my motorbike, and with it being school hols I parked outside the nearby school (albeit a bus stop normally). Came out and there was a yellow ticket on my windscreen and a parking controller walking away.

"Yours mate - nice car" he said.

"Oh bollocks, I've won a ticket" said I "but it's a fair cop I suppose - can't really complain".

"It's OK, it's just an advisory notice - the school being closed and all" he replied.

And it was. Result!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"