free hit
counters
starter motor noise? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
maydharm

starter motor noise?

Hi all, I,m new to lotus ownership and was wondering about the noise that comes from my 96 v8 on startup. It has a very distinct mecanical chatter as it turns over, si this right?

Cheers Jon.

post-3819-1207246850.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Erm, no idea but what a sexy car :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Russ,

It's a 96.

My 2000 V8 makes no strange clattering noises on start up. I'd get it checked out before any damage is caused.

I agree with Bibs. Sexy looking piece of kit you've got there.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

How long does the noise last for? Is it only on turn over or does it last until the car is warm? There are threads on here about tappet noise which lasts until the car is warm.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Russ,

It's a 96.

My 2000 V8 makes no strange clattering noises on start up. I'd get it checked out before any damage is caused.

I agree with Bibs. Sexy looking piece of kit you've got there.

Graham.

The wheels threw me.

questions: do you have the twinplate-upgrade ?! And do you start your engine witch the clutch pedal pressed? I think the intermediate plate can shake in her casing, if the clutch is not engaged.

The other point is the catalysts, for long time one of my catalytic-cores (the active monolith inside) does that shaking (on startup and some specific load changes , resonance points of the exhaust) and it fully disintegrated in the end !

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Erm, no idea but what a sexy car :D

I don't know why, but when i saw the attachement I was expecting it to be a sound file to help diagnose the problem :P i know a picture says a thousand words and all that .....

I don't know if this is similar but on mine when starting as soon as the engine had fired she used to sound like someone had just shaken a bag full of spanners, it did it every single start from the day I had her for 3 years. It never sounded especially 'right' though I've never heard anyone else's to compare against and the noise never changed in all that time.

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

If it's only whilst the starter is engaged, could it be worn teeth or maybe something to do with the mechanism?

John

Hi All, Thanks for all the comments about my car I,ve had her for 8 Months now & haven't stopped smiling. As to the noise it only happens on startup & yes it does sound like a bag of spanners, it does have the twin plate conversion & no i don't press the clutch in beforhand.

Thanks Jon.

just knock and rattle onto your exhaust, catalysts and all related parts (heat-shields and so on...)

Is the sound like a bunch of hollow tin can sounds? A common culprit is the heat sheilds crack or move around slightly in the front parts of the engine. They are a pain to get at, but may just need bending slightly so its not rattling against anything, you can get to these under the car while up on a hoist to tweak them. This same noise goes away once engine warms up. If they are relly broken though they ideally should come out and be replaced with better aftermarket ones.

Good luck.

350.gifNo.23

Is the sound like a bunch of hollow tin can sounds? A common culprit is the heat sheilds crack or move around slightly in the front parts of the engine. They are a pain to get at, but may just need bending slightly so its not rattling against anything, you can get to these under the car while up on a hoist to tweak them. This same noise goes away once engine warms up. If they are relly broken though they ideally should come out and be replaced with better aftermarket ones.

Good luck.

Car is going into the workshop on Wednesday for some work to be done, the rattle was coming from the left hand cat, the noise on startup is ok im told its the same noise they all make (having not heard another V8 i'll have to take there word for it). Hopfully the work will be covered under the warranty, new catts, exhaust box, manifold gaskets only had the car 8 months & it's been in the workshop for 3 of them.

Cheers Jon.

so we have two different situations common. I have still that what all do, the shaking (as some marbles roll in a tin can / spanners in a tool-box) during cranking/starting and the first revolutions of idle. That sound seems to be related to most of us have broken heatshields, or it is something constructive?! But second on my was a slight sound of someone knock onto a bell. And it was present without the engine running. The end of that was my hollowed catalyst housing (what i have "filled up" now with an aftermarket catalyst-monolith)

Edited by G

Jonathan, the guys telling you that they all sound like this on start-up is rot IMO. If its obviously not right to you id be inclined to get a second opinion. A properly maintained V8 should sound sweet on start-up with no rattles, clangy noises etc. Get them to inspect engine mounts too. I have heard the sound of many properly maintained V8

350.gifNo.23

Beautiful car Jon,

But where are your OZ split-rim wheels ?? :P

The earliest V8s just have to wear these ... IMHO.

On the long run these earliest V8s and the last ones (Final Run) V8s and the S350 will be the models that may become collectibles ... just like the S1 and the S4S ... IMHO of course.

Marcus

Hi all, I,m new to lotus ownership and was wondering about the noise that comes from my 96 v8 on startup. It has a very distinct mecanical chatter as it turns over, si this right?

Cheers Jon.

post-3819-1207246850.jpg

Marcus

Beautiful car Jon,

But where are your OZ split-rim wheels ?? :o

The earliest V8s just have to wear these ... IMHO.

On the long run these earliest V8s and the last ones (Final Run) V8s and the S350 will be the models that may become collectibles ... just like the S1 and the S4S ... IMHO of course.

Marcus

Hi Marcus.

I did look at changing the wheels but decided not to, i fell in love with the car as it was so why change it. The exhaust & cats are the only area intend to play with but don't know what to do as yet as i've said im new to Lotus so need to check what on the market. The car is still under warrety so i can't touch it yet i've looked on the forum and got some ideas.

Cheers Jon.

P.S has anyone got a sound file off a V8 on startup so i can compare it to mine?

My 98 Esprit started to make noise while starting but it was more of a squeal than rattle. I ended up taking the starter out and found that the main output bearing of the starter was ceased with clutch dust. I soaked the bearing with LPS and loosened it up. It's been fine ever since. How many miles are on yours??

Scott

My 98 Esprit started to make noise while starting but it was more of a squeal than rattle. I ended up taking the starter out and found that the main output bearing of the starter was ceased with clutch dust. I soaked the bearing with LPS and loosened it up. It's been fine ever since. How many miles are on yours??

Scott

Hi Scott

She has 48900 miles on the clock. It's not a squeal, it's hard to describe it's more of a metalic chatter as it turns over, it stops as soon as the engine fires.

Cheers Jon.

My car makes the same noise. My mechanic looked at it and called around. It has something to do with the starter and the flywheel. Does it sound like a metallic ping when the engine fires up?

Beautiful car by the way. Yellow is a great color for the Stevens Esprit