free hit
counters
Standard or Add ons to esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Antiques

Standard or Add ons to esprit

Guest Antiques

I suspect most Esprit owners like their cars standard as they left the factory.I was wondering have any of the guys added anything on to their cars .My 70s elite is totally standard,but i have just ordered a styled by giugario badge to attach to the inside ,in regognition that giugario styled the interior.I cant resist doing this ,but itll be my only mod.James/Antiques

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hate stickers, hate decals, hate badges, hate flares, hate wings, took mine off, hate 2 tone colour schemes, re-dyed my interior, to single colour.

But I do have an imobiliser, and a 10 stacker CD player. Other than that, it's as it was intended, fabulous.

Roger :D

Ops, forgot, big brake upgrade, now it stops, handy.

Ops again, braided clutch line, forgot that too.

Ah, K&N air filter, oh, and everything I have taken off, has gone back on with Stainless fittings. now what else is there? Oh, next project I have a full set off polyurethane bushes, on the garage shelf, awaiting my inspiration. Did I mention the nitrous, just kidding.

Edited by Roger Harris

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I'd actually disagree and say a huge number of members have modded their cars rather than keeping standard. As an example it's getting increasingly difficult to find a standard unmolested SE.

The numbers and variety of mods are huge....

Exhausts

ECUs

Turbos

Wings

Brakes

Wheels

Look at a car like Dave Walters. He's upgraded it with all the parts to make it look absolutely identical to a last run 2002 model. If you put a private plate on it I'd challenge anyone not to see it as a late car. It is however technically still modded.

That's before we even get to the interiors!

For my part my car is being rebuilt, and I'm aiming for an original look, however, I'm going to paint in a non standard Lotus colour, and although the interior will be standard pattern leather, that too will be a non standard colour. I'm also having a 2.2HC engine and Essex Compomotive split rim wheels as they go straight on.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Look at a car like Dave Walters. He's upgraded it with all the parts to make it look absolutely identical to a last run 2002 model. If you put a private plate on it I'd challenge anyone not to see it as a late car...

Challenge me... his rear valance is slotted!!! :D

Some mods are essential - eg braided clutch line instead of red hose - otherwise the car wont work properly.

Some mods are copying factory changes - get an earlier car and install the later components (or vice versa) to achieve the desired factory spec. (In practice there have been so many in model variations its hard to define what exactly is standard for any one model)

Some mods are "factory options" - eg badges present or left off, air con, wings, etc.

and then there's the extremes of real modification - eg Karl or Mike S variations

As with any low production car, I'd argue that there isn't a single "standard" spec to aspire to, so just have what you want...it'll still be an Esprit.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I've kept my S2 totally stock mostly because it has very low miles and I want to keep it as it left the factory.

I'm not too crazy about extensive mods given the rarity of our cars, but I do think brake upgrades, correcting safety issues (headlights, etc) and things are good ideas. I do prefer the stock look though.

Of course, I do respect the workmanship and passion that goes into mods, even if I'm not crazy about them.

Edited by Clark

I'm a well known purist but must admit to currently saving up for a Larini exhaust. Not because it's better but because my standard one is falling apart and a factory one is twice the price!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Just yesterday I received my 2003 door sill protectors and shift knob from Lotus. I'm adding these as I want to protect the paint and my shifter coming apart. I recently upgraded to Spax shocks because the old ones were shot and, unlike Lotus replacement units, the Spax ones offer both ride height and rebound adjustibility (they are also half the price!). I've also added a carbon fiber front splitter, primarily for looks. Oh yes, and I went with wider rubber when I recently replaced the tires.

Future upgrades include BOV's, de-cat, and performance exhaust.

My only constraint is that I won't do anything to the car that cannot easily be undone.

I'm a well known purist but must admit to currently saving up for a Larini exhaust. Not because it's better but because my standard one is falling apart and a factory one is twice the price!

Kimerbs the stock one works, so from a functional point of view the larinini isnt better, however from a sound point of view the stock one sounds like an asthmatic hamster. Where as the larini is more of a Barry White after smoking havanan cigars sound. Performance may be better too as it breathes easier but thats harder to prove. Larini is deffo chaeaper for the GT3 but not twice as cheap.

Alex

Challenge me... his rear valance is slotted!!! :lol:

I think Lotus produce both round & slotted? I'm sure Dave will know!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

the way i see it is as this, the cars in thier own right are glorious however components have moved on an been upgraded over time, so the original part no longer looks like the newer version of the part. and the newer part is 100% safer than the original ever was, so you have to think carefully about why you shouldnt fit the newer safer part.

exhausts, now yes you can fit an original however its not original anymore its a reproduction that wont have the same internal structure, or you can have a custom system made thatwill help the engine breath much better.

now take mine for instance, the main reason i went with the dual outlet was because i couldnt get to grips with looking at the back and seein two pipes on the right and nothing on the left, its just not done on a supercar, it doesnt lok right and in my eyes unbalanced the rear of the car, there was no symmetry there. the other reason was costing the reproduction replacement, when i did this i found i could have the dual set up for a little cheaper price and i get the look i think thecar deserves. now i have a stainless system, with a 20 year guarantee, its split into a d dual set up with machined parts and looks perfect on the car.

my interior is not stock the carpet was originally brown but i have gone with red in the retrim, because the red compliments the tan leather better and its a personal choice, but you had the choice of red carpet if you wanted it when you ordered the car.

the seats i have in there are basically a necessity, i have no choice, its either the skinny seats or i dont get in and drive the car, these in turn will be trimmed tan and will then suit the car.

sensible upgrades as stated like clutch hoses, brakes, discs etc are a necessity given the age of the cars.

as for other things, well i have a different steering wheel but it gives me more leg room, and i have a custom gear knob in the works, but its something i like and im happy with it, same with the pedals and will be the same with the special pedal arms when they are finished, the reason for the arms is so i can manually set them at a skew for better feet positioning.

all in all sensible alterations that enhance and improve my 24 year old car.

Mine is stock except for the exaust. It is 3 inch with a flowmaster straight piped silencer. The EBPV was removed by a previous owner and I did not restore it (why would I?). I have disconnected the throttle jacking, but the component is still there. The hall effect coil crapped out and so the Pertronix internals were added to the distributor and the AB14 Amp removed out of need. Everything else is stock and I plan to try and keep it that way.

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

OH YEAH, what a post for me to find of all ppl on this forum

mine is completely standard bahahahahahaha, i hate all you ppl that mod/change your cars you disgust me and you soil the name of lotus, and i hope you burn in the pits of hell.

bahahahahaha, viva la beardies

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

mine is completely standard bahahahahahaha, i hate all you ppl that mod/change your cars you disgust me and you soil the name of lotus, and i hope you burn in the pits of hell.

:lol:

Hahaha...

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Although I have done a few mods to mine, everything I have done is reversible, and I have kept all the original parts (except the old brake lines and the completely rusted original exhaust).

If I were to ever sell, I think it would make sense to put it back to original first, selling being the only time when the mods should concern others. Like was previously said, there aren

The only thing I can't change back on mine is the 2002 rear lights.

I love the fact I cn upgrade the car with modern parts and make it better. It also makes it 'mine' and individualises it for me.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

The sad thing is Karl the only beardy is you! No-one says that about your car or you, we all accept that an owner of a car can do as they wish to it and if it's to everyone's taste is individually subjective, but I don't think that anyone on LEF gives you grief for it.

Beardy.

Personally, I'll change my car so I like it more and it works better. There are some cars I'd like to see original examples of for prosperity and purity but as I mentioned above, we're all individuals and our cars are a manifestation of our tastes and likes.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Its my car, I'll do what I want!!!

Right I"m takin mi ball and I"m goin home!!!

I wish my car was in the condition it left the factory but as it was lest standing in a barn with sun roof out and rear hatch off for 14 years it might be a bit of a big "ask" as it was full of animal shite and mice nests!!!! Any hoo I trying to do mine up to standard with sensible mods such as brakes pipes etc. One thing Im proud of is I bought an original stereo, sounds a bit dumb with the multi changer C.D.s around but I got my IPOD with a fm sender so with the original stereo in I can have hundeds of duran duran, culture club and ultravox blairing from my 80s icon!! now wheres me shell suit? :lol:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

well i like to upgrade, mainly engine parts, possibly few cosmetics may black badge it, bit of pencil here and there and the odd self tapper, each to their own. next thing may be a chip or cat by-pass

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Doesn't a car simply leave the factory as a blank page ?

I only know of a handful of poeple who have not modified their car in some way to make it better or more to their liking.

The other thing is the Esprit is soo easy to modify, the looks are pretty much sorted but when you think that a 1988 turbo can accept V8 wheels from a 2002 car you have a wide range of mods to select from with regards to wings, wheels, arches interiors and so on.

TBH a few quid spent and 90% of the cars on here can be returned to their original specification very quickly - would you call that modding ?

Personalisation is the word I'd rather choose.

Upgrading mild steel to stainless steel is not modding imo, it's just selective use of better engineering materials, same with K&N filters etc.

facebook = [email protected]