free hit
counters
Screech under car - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
deverett

Screech under car

My Esporit has been running great, took it on a run up to the mountains last weekend (about 100km), but yesterday I heard a screech something like the starter motor for about 1/2 a second while driving.

I'd just come around a corner at about 30mph and was accelerating away when I heard a horrendous noise for only 1/2 a second. I backed off immediately and headed for home, but also noticed the temperature was a little hotter than normal, instead of going between the normal upper and lower limit it was running up to the next marker and back down. Don't know if that could be related.

The sound appeared to come from the gearchange box, however as I have a torn rubber gait it's possible the sound simply came through there.

I do often hear a rattling in that area which is I believe due to worn bushings in the gear linkage and springs rattling. It's a sort of Chhh, Chhhh noise on occasion and other times it goes away completely but it's not loud and I intended to sort it out early next month.

I'm curious is anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Dave Everett

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hey there Dave,

If you were running up in your temp range, do you think it could have been a fan kicking on? When the bearings go out it sounds kind of screechy. Or could it be the water pump? You might short circuit your fans to see if one if going out. Just thoughts.

Cheers

Clay

Hey there Dave,

If you were running up in your temp range, do you think it could have been a fan kicking on? When the bearings go out it sounds kind of screechy. Or could it be the water pump? You might short circuit your fans to see if one if going out. Just thoughts.

Cheers

Clay

Clay, Thanks for the suggestions. I found the cause of the temperature rise, I am missing about 300ml of coolant :smoke: I must have a small leak somewhere.

I know the fans are ok as I had it on a hoist a few weeks ago running, and watched the fans kicking in and out. The sound only lasted 1/2 a second and it didn't occur again on the way home.

Dave Everett

My friend's Mum always reckoned that if there were any horrible noises from her car she would just turn the radio up louder so that she couldn't hear them!! Best not though :smoke:

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I was going to say it sounds suspiciously like one of the v belts slipping. Was rather proud of myself till Punky beat me to it!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Reckon it's the waste gate jammed causing over-boosting, which would explain the "screech" and the temp getting hot. Hope the head gasket is not damaged.

Sorry, is your car a turbo? if not then i'm talking total bollo...!

Edited by esprit22

It's an S3 Chris.....it says so under his avatar.

Best go back to bed for a few hours and then see a mod for some lessons on how to use the site.... :smoke:

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Or the right bed.

If the coolant is leaking at the water pump area it may be geting onto a belt,a nd casuing the belt to slip, so maybe the temp and the noise are related.

Andy

Sorry Chris sounded a bit like that didn't it? I'm fine just meant it to be jokey!

I'll Mod myself................ :smoke:

Fantastic suggestions guys. I hadn't given a thought to belts but that really does sound like what it was. I'll check them today.

I thought I'd lost 300ml, but I bought a 5 litre bottle of coolant and it just kept filling, I put in 3 litres in total. The engine had not run hot until that day though.

My run to the mountains was in cool weather and pretty well not stop so that probably explains why it didn't get too hot on that day/night.

I checked several times yesterday after refilling to try and see where the leak was but couldn't see any fluid on the ground. I'll try and get it on a hoist today.

Thanks,

Dave Everett

Whey hey - Sydney to the Blue Mountains, in an Esprit ? Wow. That long bendy curve just past Penrith with Warragamba dam on the left, Lunch at that art deco Hydro spot on top of a huge cliff .....(forgot the name) Awesome country.

Still got the Bush Beast at Aus Wonderland ? that was cool (lived there 15 yrs ago now, wanna go back ...)

PS Bet that noise is the belt. Mine leaks a teeny bit consumes about 1L coolant every 12 months or so BTB...

PPS Driven round Bathurst ? couldn't believe how narrow & steep it is. fearsome in a li'l BMW, how Brabham & co threw those big Holdens around quite mind boggling ...

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyp

I was in Grassmere about 4 years ago, that is a georgeous place. My original dream was to buy and Esprit and cruise around England and Ireland.

Wonderland closed a year or 2 back. I think the new owners turned it into industrial storage. I never got there myself but did go out with a couple of the female dancers. The Bush Beast can't compete with that :o

That explains how the Mini Coopers dominated the Bathurst race until the Ford GT came out. I haven't taken the Esprit to the track yet, still far too many things to check before I let loose.

Dave

Edited by Kimbers - Mod
tidy post