free hit
counters
Metal bodied esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Antiques

Metal bodied esprit

Guest Antiques

The Ferrari 308 came out about the same time as the esprit s1,also in fibreglass.I cant underd why ferrari reverted back to steel shells???The older plastic shelled cars are getting a premium price over the metal shelled ones.Iv seen a few 308s in awful condition, because of rust,and its an on going battle over the years to keep the rust at bay ,and of course this costs.Remembering that in the 70s rustproofing wasnt great on any car.Its a nice rememinder to lotus owners thAt this is a great advantage of lotus ownership with the fibreglass shell,its one worry that we can literally forget about?Top gear done a report on 70s supercars ,the three of them where riddled with rust.Put a fourth car in there namely a lotus ,and well you get my point. James/antiques

Edited by Antiques

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

IIRC Ferrari did have issues with quality and workforce for the moulding. Plus they had a lot of requests from the US market for car with steel panels for easier repairs.

So far I have only ever bought fibreglass cars - I cant weld but I have lots of laminate experience!

Yes, it is definately one less thing to worry about.

Guest Antiques

Mark thanks for posting a pic of the blue 308.Seeing them in red over the years gets a bit boring and the blue ,in it has always been my favourite.I always wanted to be Tom Selleck (magnum) B) James/ANTIQUES.

It annoys me that the same people who think fiberglass cars are "cheap" are the ones who worship early 308s because they are fiberglass. ugh.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Yes the Fibreglass 308 always makes me laugh as Lotus are always jokingly labelled 'plastic' and 4-cylinder only.....when the 308 in 'plastic' is so coveted - and when Paul was given the 308 QV for the day in the Esprit comparison test for Classic and Sportscar years ago the 308 could not keep up !!!

And the metal 308's were heavier and slower than the GRP 308's.

Yes, why do people look down their noses at GRP? One of my Mates has a 3.2 Carrera and he says when my Esprit eventually brakes down, I can turn it upside down and use it as a plant pot. I have the last laugh though, as his car's got rust spots all around the arches and bumpers and he's getting worried!

Seeing them in red over the years gets a bit boring and the blue ,in it has always been my favourite.

A lot of the Daytonas / 308 GTB's were bronze and other 70s colours and have since been resprayed red.

They're easier to sell when they're red and worth several thousand more. There's a white 308GTB in the back on Classic Cars mag that been for sale for ages and it's cheap.

Guest Antiques

MARK CALL YOUR MATES CARRERA A GLORIFIED BETTLE NEXT TIME YOU SEE HIM,BECAUSE THATS WHAT IT IS.HOPE HE ENJOYS FORKING OUT FOR THE RUST.TELL HIM TO WEAR SOMETHING RED WHEN HE DRIVES IT, AS IT WILL GO WELL WITH THE RUST :o ps sorry for shouting,James/antiques