free hit
counters
What Brake Pads do you use with the AP Calipers? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What Brake Pads do you use with the AP Calipers?

What Brake Pads do you use with the Sport 350 AP Calipers, and how do you rate them?

I use EBC Red Stuff, but they are not as good as the brake pads that the previous owner fitted. Sadly I don't know what ones they were. Hence my post here to establish what alternatives there are.

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by peter_england99

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use standard Lotus pads at the moment, but will probably fit either EBC Green stuff, or Mintex pads when they need changing.

Aren't the red ones mainly for track use? I don't think they'd be much good on the road as they take too long to heat up.

Glyn,

The Red stuff are supposed to be for fast road use & track. Yellow is the track one.

Are you unhappy with the Lotus pads, or are you looking at alternatives because of the costs of the Lotus ones.

Regards,

Peter.

I use standard Lotus pads at the moment, but will probably fit either EBC Green stuff, or Mintex pads when they need changing.

Aren't the red ones mainly for track use? I don't think they'd be much good on the road as they take too long to heat up.

Hi Peter, I replaced worn out green stuff pads with red stuff in front and new greens in rears with new fluids but NOT uprated race fluids. I did a track day 155mph + speeds and really put the pads through their paces and overall while they bought me in slowing in time for chicanes, hairpins etc I wasnt overall impressed, im thinking perhaps I needed to swap out the rears for reds as well, dont get me wrong they are really sufficient but I think I was expecting more.. I am tempted to purchase Mintex 1166's just for track days as I know this material well but you got to bed these in well and not sure its a good idea swapping pads around? I would not use these everyday as they eat your discs but man do they bite!! Overall the red stuff pads are more than enough for spirited driving around country, town etc.

I dont want to compare a non AP set up, but I will for interests sake...My 89 with std OEM single piston brakes with mintex pads and race fluids felt just as strong. :o My friend was running newly fitted yellow stuff in his 92SE with brembo set up and really rated them.

Edited by kyliesmith.com
350.gifNo.23

I haven't tracked my car, and it only gets reasonable fast road use. So far the standard Lotus pads are fine.. but then i've just changed from standard 88 smaller discs and calipers to 330mm discs and 4 pots.. so it's bound to feel much better!

What's the score with yellow pads then? What are they rated at?

Everyone here seems to like them. Will they be ok on the road?

Peter - the OE lotus pad is excellent - good on the road and on a track but they are unfortunately expensive. I also ran Ferrodo DS2500 which were very good - again, not cheap but v good on road or track. I did several long road trips with these (including hard driving through the Alps) plus a couple of airfield days and Vmax's..

Money no object i'd go for OE pad every time, but Ferrodos a good alternative.

I also use the Ferrodo DS2500 with my larger diameter discs. They are excellent !

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica