free hit
counters
Ok, so I know I - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My S3 Turbo engine needs to come out (see earlier thread re clouds of blue/white smoke out the back).

It's fighting me all the way! Yes I know its 24 years old but come on! A service item like the oil drain plug should be easy to undo. Its not a left hand thread is it?!?

The exhaust pipe that connects to the wastegate end of the manifold has rounded nuts (not by me)

All of the captive nuts holding the gearbox 'cover' were spinning in the holes.

There's what looks like a vacuum pipe that's not connected to anything!?

Losing the will to live if it's gonna be like this.

I suppose its my fault as the car had one careful owner (and 8 others who were complete A**holes)

Rant over (I know it will be worth it in the end :o

Depressed of Berkshire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheer up Mate :o

All part of the joys of Esprit ownership. All the bloody oil drain plugs have been overtightened. Yes, all the nuts round the manifold are rounded and usually have to be cut off. Are you sure the captive nuts are loose and just spinning or plain rusted through and have to be cut off with some careful grinding?

I'm sure you have heard the term DPO by now? - That's a nice polite term we have meaning 'Dreaded Previous Owner' We could use others, but then the mods will get a bit grumpy etc...

Hang in there. Been there myself. The car will thank you for it when you discover all the bodges and fix or get things fixed properly.

Go grab a beer and show the car some love by giving it a wipe down or something... It's not it's fault :P

Cheers - Mark

Cheer up matey.

I know exactly what you're going through. I love my car to bits but got so pee'd off with getting a bit done here a bit done there, that I sent it to Lotus and said "Fix everything". Which they duly did.

After unpuckering at the bill (which was very good considering the amount of work done) I thoroughly enjoyed driving it knowing that all the Vacuum pipes had been replaced. All the pipes that were rubbing have been secured and all the parts on the way out have been replaced.

Only to get a puncture........ :o Thats car ownership!

it's worth it in the end.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I feel for you mate, really I do.

But I like to face the mountain of DPO technical issues I have with my Esprit in the opposite to 'dying the death of a thousand cuts' and rather 'every fix is a miracle!'. It is such satisfaction every time another one is done.

The ultimate glass half-full outlook. :o

Iain

Edited by iainskea

They're ALL like that..just remember, when you put it all back together with stainless fasteners and anti-seize, the NEXT time it'll all come apart more easily!! Hopefully, it's a battle you only have to fight once.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

i think you and me better have a chat on the phone, i went through the same things your going through and then some, and i almost did my nut with the thing and have a breakdown. but i perevered with things as best i could getting further than i dared to imagine really, and i had help along the way, lots and lots of advice from the guys here.

then after the tia's hit me i still tried to work on the car much to the horror of everyone here and my wife, i wasnt going to let the b*****d beat me, but it wasnt to be and i had to stop, mainly because they took the car away from me, but also i couldnt do anymore.

take a look at my thread in the restoration section and see how manytimes i went throught bad days wit hthings and finding so many faults and problems.

your not alone matey you ggot everyone here to help you, and if need be, we are only a car journey away from helping in person.

one bit of advice, if you havent got one get a dremel and loads of the mini cutting discs for it, they make curring rounded nuts off really easy, also get a set of nut removers from machinemart they bite into the buit and make it easy to take off, they dont cost much.

i will pm you my number, give me a call and we can have a chat , also dont be afraid to give troy halliday a call also.

Edited by bigsi

Thanks for all your support and empathy (not sympathy as thats when you're down in a ditch and someone looks down and says ' must be difficult down there' - empathy is when they get down in the ditch and give you a hand up)

Guess I thought I'd pop out and do some 'easy' bits in preparation for the main push at the weekend and got frustrated at every turn.

Thanks for your offer of help bigsi. I will call you soon I'm sure.

Slightly less depressed than I was yesterday :o

Stick with it mate, the end product will be well worth it. Just check out some of the other cars in the resteration section. This should make you feel a little better as it prooves you are not alone out there. & the feeling you get when it's finsihed plus knowing you did it all is great. :welcome:

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

I think we've all been there to a greater or lesser extent, John.

You start a job and everything fights you and you are cutting and sawing and filing and drilling. The car's geting into a worse and worse state and you think, "What have I done?" It's not a feature of Lotus in particular but comes with working with old cars. The only cure is perserverance. It will be so satisfying when you start putting parts together and when you fire up and the car's all fixed you will be so pleased with yourself.

Keep at it but don't lose your temper. You could do some serious damage if you do.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE