free hit
counters
I'm lucky : cam belt slipped teeth - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alireza

I'm lucky : cam belt slipped teeth

I can't even tell you how great I felt yesterday morning...

few days ago... beloved S2 suddenly had engine faults and after a few minutes... didn't even want to start at all.

I couldn't understand what was going on - a bit scared ! I was even more frightenned when my tech. showed me the cam belt had slipped teeth !

That was something hard to admit and listen to... then he started to work on the car, removing the belt (tensioner was loose !)... removing the rocker covers... quick look at the valves... and surprisingly, seemed OK.

Quick solution was to put the belt in place... take engine compressions... and again, it was all reading OK!

Decided we should start the car again yesterday morning when the job was done...

- :P -

and it was running as fine as ever ! Amazing !

I've read cases in which valves have instantly bent (on this very board!) and I have to admit I've been VERY LUCKY !

:cheers::welcome:

Edited by Alireza

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Quick - go and buy a lottery ticket!!! With luck like that you are bound to end up a millionaire!!

Glad for you mate - its not often the Esprit lets you off so lightly!

Best wishes

SiF

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

I think you can skip two teeth at the crankshaft and not bend the valves. One tooth for sure. Maybe more?

Glad you were lucky! It happened to a previous owner of my ex-red S1, and he was lucky the same way.

Make sure your tech rebuilds the tensioner, too! :welcome:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

It slipped 2 teeth exactly ! I have a pretty good tech right now and I checked the whole process (while I was crossing fingers) !

Making sure the snubber clearances are correct also helps to stop the belt slipping; I had the belt snap on my 1982 Turbo with no damage, so it's never certain that damage will result.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein