free hit
counters
Exhausts and insurers - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhausts and insurers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello guys.

I am contemplating replacing the standard Lotus silencer with something a bit lighter and shinier. I know several listers have done this but can find no mention of changes to insurance.

I just checked my insurer's (Direct Line) and was quoted

why would you tell your insurance you going to mod your car?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because some insurers have it in their terms and conditions ,and you could find them trying wriggle out of a claim ,if they can in any way shape or form attribute the 'mod' to the accident etc ,but of course in the real world i wonder how many of us actually do inform our insurance company if we have say just replaced our exhaust as the old one has rotted out,i am sure Joe Blow in his Mondeo wouldnt inform his insurance company if he had just replaced his old factory fitted system with a Kwik Fit special,because it could also be argued that it was a 'mod 'as it is not a 'standard' factory fit :)

Nick S4s (Larini Sports system owner)

Simplest things first.

I mentioned that I had a replacement exhaust and that it was a standard stainless steel replacement to origional spec and they didn't add anything on.

If it's not stated as performance enhancing part and just a standard replacement for the OEM part they usually don't mind but it's still on the paper work for reference.

Geoff,

Classicline didn't charge me any more when I changed my insurance. They also didn't charge me any more for a DeCAT pipe either. It begs the question about DeCAt pipes being legal as without one your car will most likely fail an MOT thus your car is not road legal.

Be VERY careful about aftermarket exhaust companies. They claim to be able to make 'any' system you like but when it comes to it, they cut corners.

The Lotus pipe size is 2.5" and is pretty good performance wise. Most exhaust companies can only bend upto 2.25" and they put the end into an expander to make it fit the collar at the CAt/turbo end, Some don't even do this, they use weld to make up the difference. Same goes with backboxes. On external inspection all looks fine but if you actually look at the hole size the backbox before they weld it, you'd be surprised how many are much smaller than 2.5", some even only 2". This is another restriction in the system.

I was horrified when I stood watching a few companies claiming to be 'so called experts' in performance exhausts.

There are many owners out there with these systems on thinking because they have a louder or nicer sounding exhaust, it must therefore perform better. Wrong, ask to see the indivual parts before they assemble so you know it's one size throughout.

Hope this helps,

I've seen Blueflame many times as I meet owners from around the country when they come across. I live about 15 miles from Blueflame. The problem they have is that they use many sections and bends, not bending it in one piece. Their welding is pretty neat but any welding will cause a slight restriction on the inside.

Something totally unrelated to exhausts, they forgot to put the hand brake on one owners car and it rolled down the sloping car and hit another car! Won't say who car it was, I'll let them tell the story if they wish. I simple mistake which anyone car make especially if they aren't used to the Esprit.

FYI Geoff

here's a pic of my 'SJ' version installed.

Smaller, cheaper, lighter, shinier, and much more enjoyable to listen to.

Can't comment on the insurance side though.

7879.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

FYI Geoff

here's a pic of my 'SJ' version installed.

Smaller, cheaper, lighter, shinier, and much more enjoyable to listen to.

Can't comment on the insurance side though.

7879.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looked at a few "off the shelf" versions and the SJ seems good value. However they are in Devon and I am in Newcastle.

I now have a firm quote for

Geoff. I'm also with Direct Line. I told them i changed my exhaust and that it made no difference to the performance, so no change in premium but it does say on my renewal each year "exhaust changed, like for like replacement" or something similar.

I have seen both Quiksilver and Blue Flame exhausts and I personally have never been hugely impressed by the quality of workmanship.

The welds always looked messy and this then leads me to question overall quality.

I should point out however that in almost every case the owners were perfectly happy!

The place that always impressed me was Torque Technique in Salisbury (just a bit of a trek I know from the Toon...) They're not cheap at

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Having done a bit of research, it apears that all the "custom" guys have a stock of the same basic silencers to which they stick on whatever bendy pipe is needed. The system quality will, therefore, be pretty much the same but the bending and welding may vary considerably. The effectiveness of the welding will be OK but some welders are much neater than others! Same applies to benders but maybe I shouldn't go there!

I have now left the car with the local guys so I should have my new, shiny system later today.

To be continued .......

Geoff

just to be controversal as always didnt the orginal post just basically say you wanted to be "shiny",,,,,wicked a person that talks my language

so in theory aslong as it fits/works and looks pretty it doesnt really matter

after all do any of you REALLY think the weld (as most welds dont really differ that much) on a exhaust makes the slighest bit of difference on a road, or track unless your jenson button bahahahaha

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)