free hit
counters
Pertronix Distributor - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robertcosta

Pertronix Distributor

I've been having constant trouble with the Lucas dissy and its dodgy wiring..works one minute and not he next!

I ended up with a Pertronix copy of the lucas distributor from a friend for the cost of a slab of beer ( that's a carton for the non aussies!)

Can I double check with you guys as to the best way to set position of the new distributor for the rough initial timing just to get the car started?

Robert

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Robert,

The timing should be stock. There are different times for different cars. If it is a federal LC it is 1 before [email protected] 1000 rpm. If a federal HC it is 15 before tdc @ 1000rpm. The Euro spec are different. The pertronix set up just replaces the trigger inside the dissy. The rest of the is the stock dissy. I have one on an 83 TE, works great. Thats a case of beer here. :)

Cheers

Clay

Well, all I've got to say is WOW!. Finally got to installing the dizzy and it fired up first time........

Been playing playing with it for a few days now and am totally happy with it.

Two wires to the new coil from the distributor, wire from the ignition switch and tach and away it goes.!

...and yes, it won't start with the rev limiter module in place...thats for another time to sort!!

Robert

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

For the ignorant amongst us (that could only be me?) can you explain what the difference is between the two distributors? If I ever get round to rebuilding my S1 this sounds as though it might be something I should get?

Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Paul,

Its actually not a new dizzy. Just tell pertonix what dizzy you have and the kit replaces the whole points/condensor assembly inside the dizzy. Install took 30 minutes with most of that time taken fiddleing to get the dizzy back on the engine. Between the spring in the shaft trying to push it back out and the unusual position on the block it takes 3 hands.

Easy mod and I agree the best bang for the buck (or pound) at under $100 USD. Same cap, same rotor, same Dizzy body...two wires.

Only got ya is that it really needs 12V at the hot lead, so if your coil lead only gets to 7V with the resister wire to the ignition switch....just wire the + lead to an ignition switched 12V supply.

Works a treat. Done it to a 74 Elite and my current Federal S1 Esprit.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

Paul,

In my case it was the whole distributor...only 'cause I got it cheap :welcome: so it was even easier!...but Dom is right, its a module that replaces the points in your case. Just make sure you get the correct one.

Robert

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

Sydney, Australia