free hit
counters
Cobra alarm followup question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

While handwashing the car the other day the alarm siren went off (this "eureka moment" was my first clue that the car even HAD a siren!). I hastily scrambled for the key fob to silence the little beggar before my neighbors thought I was trying to steal my own vehicle. As near as I can tell the alarm was NOT triggered by movement of the car (to be honest, I don't even know if movement is even one of the parameters that will set it off), but, rather, it seemed to occur as I was holding a running hose over the roof while wiping it down with a handmitt. Does water running down the drain channels trigger the microwave sensor? I find this hard to believe. It happened again on a second washing (yes, yes, turn off the alarm prior to washing the car, you dolt!). This is a curiosity question only.

Thanks,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - mine does that as well

I think it is the slight pressure on the roof triggering the ultrasound sensors for movement inside the car.

That makes a bit more sense to me, Dave, since the roof panel is removable afterall, and thus has at least some potential for shifting minutely as opposed to being totally fixed in place as a solid unit.

Interesting "aside": my Webster's dictionary shows the exact same spelling for "my-noot-lee" and "min-it-ly". Thus it is entirely possible that the roof panel could be said to be shifting minutely, minutely (depending on road conditions of course; or in the case of the current discussion, the vigor of the washing effort per 60 second time intervals).

(John exits stage left as rotten tomatoes and eggs begin to fly...)

We have had numerous problems with the alarm. However, it has never gone off whilst washing the car!

Must be the difference between your "light touch" and my "ham handedness", Katie.

Cheers!

John

At the detailing day we were at yesterday (see NMEG thread in the events section) they said they have this problem. They use a power jet and frequently have had cars with alarms that go off when they power jet the roof. So it seems like it is a fairly common problem.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

you should wash your car without arming the system by the key fob. The ignition imobiliser starts arming itself with the key in your pocket. The microwave is only armed by a complete lock from key-fob sender.

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hasnt happend to me yet either. But I never use a power jet hose at full pressure, the hose is always on ajustable half spray pattern to not force water in unwanted areas. But cant imagine why these guys would arm their cars by the fob as lets face it once your finished with the hose, doors and rear hatches are opening anyway to wipe away extra water?? The immobiliser comes on after 30secs or thereabouts automatically so must have something to do what that? No?

350.gifNo.23
At the detailing day we were at yesterday (see NMEG thread in the events section) they said they have this problem. They use a power jet and frequently have had cars with alarms that go off when they power jet the roof. So it seems like it is a fairly common problem.

Dave, this brings up a question I meant to include earlier. I prefer to handwash my vehicles, but circumstances don't always permit this. Is there any reason why an Esprit should not be driven through a "touch free" commercial car wash (knowing that most of them use high pressure jets)?

John

Dave, please explain to the "Newbie" dummy what NMEG stands for, so that I can find that specific thread.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I think door/window seals etc are the main reasons for not using pressure jet wash on cars.

With my TVR it is specifically mentioned in the user handbook for this very reason.

Cant remember if there was any similar comment in the Esprit handbook though. Certainly the first time I rinsed the car off with a pressure hose I noticed that there was water on the seats afterwards.

I've not had any problem with pressure jets on my car - I think Pete is probably right in that it depends on how good your seals are.

The detailing place uses a pressure washer to get the main dirt off and then hand washes it using the 2 bucket method finally drying it off with a leaf blower!

NMEG = North Midland Esprit Group - we have our own section in the events area.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Concerning the seals, guess there's one surefire way to find out. Commercial car wash, here I come! Hasn't been so much as a drop getting thru when I handwash, but I only use a running hose, no nozzle.

Thanks to all for the input.

John