free hit
counters
Looking for an S3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

Looking for an S3

Dear sirs,

I have posted the od message up on these here forums but i have largely been lurking in the cyber shadows. The time is nigh to take the plunge an find myself the S3 for me. I am searching for THE one. im sure many of you lucky individuals know the feeling to which i am reffering.

i am looking for a NA S3 and am open to any suggestions appart from those needing severe TLC (although any lotus of mine would inevitably recive the utmost of this). If any of you folks can assist in directing me towards owners who have vehicles for sale or know of particular vehicles then this would be most appreciated. Any information relating to these vehicles, buying tips or assistance in person would also be appreciated. i frequently check up on the lotus esprit 4 sale website and plan to view one or two of the vehicles advertised on here and on other websites.

I am prepared to travel the length and breadth of the country to find the right one for me and am suitably based pretty much in the middle of the country in Birmingham. i am still relativley young and so Insurance will be a real thorn in my side but the way i see it is each to their own really.. Some people choose to spend all their money on huge TV's or goin out clubbing and the like but this is just not me. Its an s3 for me.

regards

Jonathan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hiya,

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search...

How old are you? Classic Car insurance normally starts at age 25 = so you may be pleasantly surprised!

Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Due to your location it may be worth a trip to see Mike at Lotusbits. He may stumble upon one that suits you.

You'd be best to give an idea of the exact model (S3 early or S3 late with slight chassis re-design), colour, trim colour you're looking for and your mechanical ability.

For example Buddsy was looking for a Turbo car, and was up for a project. I spotted one hidden away on Ebay. he took the plunge, but it's now undergoing a full engine re-build and the rest will probably be stripped and re-built, whereas you may want one that needs little more than a good service and a few items replaced that are fair wear and tear.

My TE was bought as a major project, but I had a fair idea of that before I bought it.

Good luck with the search, S3 is a great choice, yes I may be biassed as I have one, but it has the same chassis as the Turbo, separate suspension and gearbox, 2.2l engine.

I'm not going to recommend mine, if you want a project it's not aimed at you, and it has the turbo body kit, so insurers may get nasty with price if you're young.

But keep looking, they come up frequently, and if you're prepared to travel that's OK, and you have a distinct advantage due to location, Birmingham has good routes to most places to go and have a look at cars before buying them.

On that note, if you find one you're interested in, either post here, or drop one of the local (to the car) coordinators a PM, they may be able to suggest somebody to go and have a look at it for you/ with you.

Andy

thanks for the help Guys. i am looking for something that requires minimal and preferably no work on it just to clarify. to further clarify It would be a later car that would suit my bill the best. i am not to fussy as to colour or trim just aslong as it is a good car really although im not a huge fan of red..... which they all seem to be! that ice blue makes me melt at the knees!

where abouts is lotusbits? i pop into Paul Mattys every so often for a chat and to see whats bopin down there.

As regards age i am still under that magical 25 mark and so its going to be pricey but if thats the price i have to pay!.... literaly!

It would be a later car that would suit my bill the best. that ice blue makes me melt at the knees!

A very fine choice if I may say so, Sir!

As you may already be aware some people try to pass off older cars as S3s and some people get in a muddle over what a pucka S3 dash should or shouldn't look like. Fact is, Lotus tend to use up supplies of parts so model updates weren't always comprehensive from one specific chassis number. Anything registered from about 1984 should be beyond question. At the end of production a few "HC" models were built but by then the N/A sales were tiny compared to turbo. You'll be lucky if you can find one. Happy hunting!

Good choice, although mine is a 2nd/3rd car it does get used every week or so, and I have to say it is actually a really easy car to live with - comfortable, quite quick enough in modern day traffic, and entirely reliable. & of course just great fun. Bit noisy for longer motorway journeys though. If I had to I don't think I'd have a problem using it every day ('cept its not very good for the rather muddy dog ...) Being ancient insurance is peanuts. Don't forget, for a classic - no rust !

Buy & enjoy, good hunting

Nice one, I had my first Turbo esprit at 27!!

Where's about in brum is yam at!!!

I've got and S4 and I'm based in Bearwood.

Please ignore Karl, he'll be along in due course with a 'kill the brummy speech' no doubt!!!

Nice one, I had my first Turbo esprit at 27!!

Beat me - mine was my 30th birthday present - erm - to mee... <_<

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Lotusbits are near Warwick, just outside Marton (there's a railway bridge over the road and they are in the old station yard.

They're not a dealership, they service/ repair Lotus cars and break lots of them for parts. As such Mike can sometimes come across cars worth restoration/ better than you'd want it to be if broken.

Andy

I'd never heard of Lotus bits and didn't realise they were that local!!!

And I used to live just outside Warwick!!!

That is indeed local!

I live in Moseley but i am not a Real brummy having been born and raised in Manchester. It was my job that took me to birmingham. I actualy work very close to Warwick.... My office is in Barford just the other side of the Longbridge Island.

I do alot of driving for my job and so would not use teh S3 every day (as much as i would like to!) i have an M sport 1 series as my daily driver and practical run around.

I am looking for something around the 8k mark.... well as cheap as possible... and run well

Moseley, just up the road from me <_<

it will be nice to have another local Esprit about :whistle:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

A neighbour of mine is toying with selling is calypso red Esprit with a genuine 17,000 miles on the clock <_<

Needless to say, he barely uses the car and when he does it's always local. I've tried but failed to get him to join the NMEG runs. I don't think he wants to put any more miles on the clock. The car looks great and very original.

If you are interested, pm me your contact details and I'll tell him about your interest

Cheers,

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Coincidences coincidences, my esprit came from its previous owner in Barford originally!!! (I also got married at Moreton Hall just up the road from there).

Been trying to think what offices there are in Barford, what do you do for a living?

I travelled the length of the globe to get mine, and just to reminisce I got my first Lotus at 24 an Elan. Has anyone recomended the Lotus Esprit World web site, that's where I found mine, and seems the best souce.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

there are some offices just up the road from the Granville pub along with a load of new houses. I work in one of those unremarkable, could be anywhere in the British isles pants peices of 90's Offices for an automotive software firm.

I frequently check up on the Lotus Esprit world for sale section and am in the process of trying to arrange visits to see some people. and on the auto trader website also

Hi, Have you found the right one yet ???, if not drop me a line to my email "[email protected]" and I will send you details and photos of my 1983 Calypso Red S3 with 43,000 miles only, I have owned it for the last 23 years but hardly ever get to use it these days no expense has been spared in keeping it in pristine condition. Same thing applies to me asyour other respondents Classis Car Insurance is very cheap when you are an ol' git !!!!........RioBob