free hit
counters
Steering wheels - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
th4neuk

Steering wheels

Hi All,

If I was to replace the standard momo wheel on the v8 with a different momo wheel, would I need a boss kit or will it just bolt straight on??

cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Whilst we are on this topic, does anyone know if it is possible to raise the steering coloumn, 88 car, I think the answer is no, but some one might have done it.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi All,

If I was to replace the standard momo wheel on the v8 with a different momo wheel, would I need a boss kit or will it just bolt straight on??

cheers

Well I think there were those Raid steering wheel buys that people did a while back. Perhaps search on that and see what people did :)

350.gifNo.23

If you have a non SIR V8, then you will have an isuzu fit steering wheel hub, going onto a steering column spider that has a stud fitment for personal wheels. There will then be a slim adapter to change that to a standard momo fitting.

You should therefore be able to use any wheel that is a standard momo bolt fitting.

The smaller ones for the Elise are good, as they fit straight on and are also staggered up slightly to give some knee clearance.

The one used on the Sport 350 is the Momo 'shuttle' if you can still get it.

Roger, the answer is no, sadly. The column bolts directly to the cross beam behind the dash. The only way to mount it higher would be to cut the cross beam so the column itself can go higher.. but you don't want to do that as it's a major part of your crash protection.

I'm swapping from an '88 column to a V8 later style column at the moment by the way, so I've found all this out the hard way!

Hi All,

cheers

The original has a 4 bolt fixing to the boss.

After market Momo's are 6 bolt or undrilled. - the undrilled ones are race type wheels so worth checking the diameter of the original boss against the centre of the wheel because i think the boss is too big.

So you'll need a boss kit!

Hi Roger. If your after more legroom the best bet is a flat bottom wheel. I'm not that tall, about 5' 11", but always found my legs touching the wheel. I fitted a flat bottom wheel and it is now much more confortable. I used a Nardi to Momo convertor which, due to the angle of the steering column, also produced a very small height gain. My installation is on LEW.

Russell

just as information, my lift up of the V8 steering column was a DIY weld job. Not recommended for non mechanics ! <_<

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..