free hit
counters
smells like gasoline - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi chemasillero

sounds like you have one of a few issues mate

could be :

1. the clear hose between your two fuel tanks that is the equalizer/ breather, may be cracked, instructions on LEF or LEW...easy fix and most common

2. Fuel tank leak, again instructions on LEF orLEW, harder fix and can be costly so check out where to get replacement tanks

3. could be leaking fuel lines to injectors but not usually.

Hope this helps

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Thank you!, first, I will look the hose.

if it doesnt smell when u get in but does after driveing its the breather pipe. if it smells all the time its prob. tank.

Mine only smells after driving or while driving not all the time.

My esprit smells like gasoline on the inside, Is that normal?

The answer is probably YES. Based on how many of us have similar issues.

To the question, Is that how it should be?

The answer is NO.

But yes, agree with the answers given, just in one of those moods.

Andy

The answer is probably YES. Based on how many of us have similar issues.

To the question, Is that how it should be?

The answer is NO.

But yes, agree with the answers given, just in one of those moods.

Andy

I replaced the balance /vent line that cross above the window and the two small ones back close to the filler cap. All smells stopped I had both smelled when sitting and smelled when driving. almost forgot I also sealed both of the seat belt covers which is where I was told that most odors are pull in to the cabin by as they are right over each tank . jp

check the breather pipe, i did mine as it was smelling and was split, very easy to do, you can see why they split as they are made of very poor pipe / tubing.

Where is breather pipe exactly?

Sorry for my ignorance!

Can you put a photo?

Any hose that has turned yellow (including the smaller lines - the ones that go to the evap canister) are prone to cracking...not just the balance hose between tanks. Replace them ALL. You will just be going back in there at a later date for the others if you don't. The tiny ones can smell just as bad, and are more likely to actually leak gasoline when cornering hard on a full tank.

Mine smells when I corner hard, Common Breather pipe issue.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Any hose that has turned yellow (including the smaller lines - the ones that go to the evap canister) are prone to cracking...not just the balance hose between tanks. Replace them ALL. You will just be going back in there at a later date for the others if you don't. The tiny ones can smell just as bad, and are more likely to actually leak gasoline when cornering hard on a full tank.

Ok. thanks.

Would it not be easier to seal seat belts covers?

You'll still have fuel vapour all over the place and an engine which is a series of controlled explosions! Fuel leaks are bad, the pipe is an easy fix!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...