free hit
counters
The View Out the Back - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zobeid

The View Out the Back

The rear-view mirror on my car is mounted on a kind of plastic stalk, it doesn't actually touch the windshield. It's got a little rubber bumper in case it touched the windshield, but it doesn't. Whenever the motor is running, the mirror is jittering up and down on the end of its stalk -- surely that's not how it's supposed to work?

The view through the narrow back glass -- with the spoiler right there -- is bad enough already, without even considering the mirror jitters.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Guest teigan

They all do that. probably worse on your car with the powerful engine. not sure of the best solution, but an elastic shock mount would work.

They all do that. probably worse on your car with the powerful engine. not sure of the best solution,  but an elastic shock mount would work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Small dia black vacuum hose cut to length so it touches the screen worked for me.

DanR

Guest teigan

thr rubber peg on mine touches glass firmly, but it still vibrates. deploying the sun visors momentarily shifts it in the y-axis.

This will fix it.

Cost me 1 pence for 1 rubber grommet

10943.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Who cares what's behind you? By the time you see it it's history and several hundred yards away, brrrrrm :angry:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Who cares what's behind you? By the time you see it it's history and several hundred yards away, brrrrrm :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then there's this blue flashing light ? :lol::angry:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Hello,

Sorry for resurrecting an old subject, but I've got a 1990 Esprit SE and my rear view mirror just broke off. (I guess that stops it from jittering all the time!) The metal broke at the base where it screws in to the roof. However, when I attempted to unscrew the two screws which hold the base to the roof, the screws just spin. The base is somehow firmly attached to the roof, and the screws won't come out. Does the base have hooks or something? Has anyone ever removed their mirror? Any suggestions on repair or where to get a new mirror?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan - Mine did exactly the same thing and a bit of a bastard to sort out...

Reason it broke was because of vibration, and the reason the screws keep turning is because they have non captive little 6mm nuts holding them in.

Not the same model as yours (mine was an 84 Turbo with a glass roof) and was a while back, but here goes...

Unscrew the trim panel screws (4x I think)

If you have a glass sunroof, take it out completely.

Remove the sunroof rubber seal at the front.

CAREFULLY Pull back the material that's glued to the flange and with a bit of gentle persuasion you might just get your hand in with a spanner to hold the nuts while you unscrew the little bastards.

If you luck out and need to take the panel off completely... (Like I did),

Unscrew and remove sunvisors

Remove trim panels on the sides of the windscreen

Remove interior trim panels above doors (these are screwed in and have spring clips - pull gently)

Watch the wiring for the clock if it's there on the later models too.

I fixed mine with a good blob of Pratley Steel and a small piece of steel on the inside plate to reinforce it.

Refitting is the reverse of removal as the repair books say. - Hope this helps :rant:

Edited by markt

Dan,

I can echo Mark's reply. The same thing happened to mine and my repair was essentially the same. A small piece of aluminium plate scewed and epoxied onto the inside of the broken mirror stalk to refix it to the plate. Finding out how to get to the nuts behind the trim was the main trick. The mirror stalk actually has thin sections to deliberately weaken it at the join to its securing plate. Presumably this is some safety feature to let it break off in case of an accident. After a long time and lots of vibration the unit tends to break at these points.

Cheers,

Trevor

Mine was wobbly when I got the car and then eventually broke off. I got a replacement from SJ, who said they all tend to break after about 13-14 years.

I managed to replace it by just lowering the front of the roof trim after unding the screws under the sun visors. This gave just enough access to be able to get to the nuts from the front. No need to touch the sun roof seals.

Like Bibs says below, I just consider this a "feature" of the car and I'm not all that concerned about what's behind me at 250kms+.

Both side mirrors shake like hell too...