free hit
counters
Hello from Belgium + tyre for an SE - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello from Belgium + tyre for an SE

Hello everybody, I just signed for an SE 1991. Will hopefully get it before end of this month.

Already a question: the tyres are in quite poor conditions, so I would prefer to replace them before driving her. The local tyre shop can't find the original sizes, (245X50XR16 and 215X50XR15). Could you tell me if it's still possible to find the Good Year? Or an other brand?

Would it be easier if I go for more recent wheels in 17? Thanks in advance for your advices,

bjc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodyears are not produced anymore in the correct sizes.

Toyo Tyres make a good replacement in the nearest size which gets good reviews as well as a not too bad price tag.

Welcome

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Hello Hermant and welcome.

I have moved your post into the "Stevens Technical Room" as you are more likely to get an answer from within here.

It would be nice if you put another post back into the newbie section to introduce yourself? Also please keep an eye on this thread where coincidentally someone from Switzerland has a similiar query...

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...c=15970&hl=

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

yes TOYO T1-R 245X45XR16 and 215X45XR15 is goor replacement, is quite easy to buy and t expensive, cca 450EUR for all..............original size 50 is in europe very hard to find, i ve found closes in us:)

109175y2.jpg

Edited by SKY

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

So if Toyo is a "poor replacement" is that what we are stuck with in the future? Is there nothing else?

My dealer is replacing the fronts with 205's. Is that Ok for an SE? I think he mentioned Michellin.

Best!

I think he means 'good', Toyo Proxes are excellent tyres.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hello everybody, I just signed for an SE 1991. Will hopefully get it before end of this month.

Already a question: the tyres are in quite poor conditions, so I would prefer to replace them before driving her. The local tyre shop can't find the original sizes, (245X50XR16 and 215X50XR15). Could you tell me if it's still possible to find the Good Year? Or an other brand?

Would it be easier if I go for more recent wheels in 17? Thanks in advance for your advices,

bjc

Hi Herman, whereabouts in Belgium ? I'mliving xclose to Leuven, you're always welcome :thumbup:

There lust be other brand with the right sizes, or you can upgrade to V8 sized wheels, that is 17 inch front, 18 inch rear, 235 front, 285 rear

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Hi,

I have just replaced my SE wheels with V8 wheels and i have 4 tyres on the rims i took off which are Toyo Proxo's.They are almost New and have done only maybe 2000km.

You are welcome to make me an offer and i am sure we can come to a mutually interesting deal.

Mail me at [email protected] if you are interested

rgds

Adrian

Hi Hermant

Take a look at this website:

http://www.goca.be/banden/pvg_n.asp

Here you can find what is allowed for the belgian MOT for your car.

I have 215/40/17 at the front and it's to narrow, it must be at least 225/40/17.

Best regards, hope to meet you soon,

Peter

I currently have the correct size tyres for my 89SE with a ZR rating. How does this compare with the XR rating mentioned above?

I have a nail in one of the rears (length unknown). I don't know whether to leave it in there or pull it out and have a plug inserted. I currently have very little wear on the tyres... and do very little high speed driving. It would be nice to take the car out on the track once in a while, but I don't know how much this nail will compromise the speed rating (and safety, of course).

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ian.

Hi Herman, whereabouts in Belgium ? I'mliving xclose to Leuven, you're always welcome :thumbup:

There lust be other brand with the right sizes, or you can upgrade to V8 sized wheels, that is 17 inch front, 18 inch rear, 235 front, 285 rear

Hi Hans, I'm close to Luik. So, with "bosbon be" from Hasselt, we could take a nice picture with 3 different models of Esprit. But let me first get my car, some days and I'll be on the road!

Hello Hermant, welcome I am also new here.

Interesting question: Is this your first Esprit?

Hi Bret, in fact I was going to buy a Porsche 964 Cab but I got an Esprit on the way ;-)

I had in fact the SE in mind since a while, so ...

And you?

Thanks Peter, will check as soon as I get the paper of the car.

CU near Hasselt, Luik or Leuven with Hans-bzguy

Hi there!

Interesting I am a real Porsche man myself, but I have always been a Lotus fan too. I have owned a 944 and a 1990 911 Carrera. Brilliant cars. Reliable. There is nothing like a flat-six, in terms of the sound. I was fixed on the idea to buy a 356 here in Switzerland, also when a SE got in the way too!! :-D

The 356 was also double the price.

I must admit, that my driving test in the Esprit was a bit dull, as a 911 even at idle, there seem to be a sense of occasion. Off boost, in town driving, a Esprit acts and sounds like a Kia. (Sorry to say this fans.)

However, the Esprit has much more of a presence as a sportscar, except to those sitting inside it! It is actually unfair - the best part of an Esprit is seeing it in action from the outside!

Best to you, and happy Esprit ownership.