free hit
counters
Paranoid "Newbie" question (s) - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Iconic Ride

Paranoid "Newbie" question (s)

"Hey, mistah. I got's to know." (guy at the buisness end of Clint Eastwood's 357 magnum in "Dirty Harry"---tell me THAT doesn't take you back).

As near as I can tell, the pushbutton on the center console that opens the fuel hatch is totally electric (no cable involved). Knowing that "Murphy's law" will always prevail in the long run, is there any way to manually open the hatch (short of a crowbar) if one encounters switch and/or solenoid failure (or even a simple wire break or short)?

Related question: if the rear engine hatch cable release mechanism self destructs, is there any other way to raise it?

Such are the questions that keep (some) Esprit owner's awake at night. I wouldn't be so paranoid if they weren't out to get me!

Cheers!

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi John. Yes there is. You need to remove the access covers in the engine bay where the ECU and power steering tank is located. Look down the channel past these fuel pipes and you can see the silver solenoid with a little cream plastic lever sticking up vertically. The lever is the manual contingency.

Picture attched. Hope this helps <_<

05022008474.jpg

05022008475.jpg

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

If you have long/slender arms (or don't mind a bit of skin removal!) you can reach the solenoid lever from the boot (trunk).

As for the tailgate cable, there are a couple of methods some more brutal than others. LEW has a painful looking one here.

There is also the option of using a similar way in but coming up via the boot (trunk) floor.

Many thanks, Paul and GKP! The pics and the link were both extremely helpful and informative. Guess I'll have to find some other Loti quirks to keep me awake at night now (which I'm sure will not be a problem). For the record I STILL love the car, and continue to go out hourly to look at it!

Cheers,

John

For the record I STILL love the car, and continue to go out hourly to look at it!

This is a common problem! After the first few months I knew that I couldnt go on taking every coffee, sandwich, aperitif etc out to have a look at the car.

So, something had to be done:

r0011462lk5.jpg

If I have any paranoia, it is that the check engine light comes on. Never thought about losing access to boot or fuel tanks through malfunction.

Definately pays to read all the threads here :thumbup:

Is your car in your house rather than garage? :thumbup:

I like!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

r0011462lk5.jpg

No that is so damn cool !

Very, very nice. :thumbup:

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Everyone laughs at me for the thought, but when I finally get around to building my house, it will be having glass doors on the side large enough to accommodate the Esprit. Where else do you think I would store it all winter long!!!

That picture is priceless, Pete. Tres bien mon ami. Magnifique!

Kylie, tell us more about the "hot rod" (Ford? Merc? Highly modified Lotus?)

John

IS that your house or a really well outfitted garage?

Well it was planned to be a sort games room but ended up as dog's room/garage/tack room. Madame decided to furnish it with some left overs so I decided to park beside the table.

What was the garage is now the lounge. I'm sure that with judicious use of a few planks I could still get the car in there :) But I am equally sure that the first drip of TAF-X on the tiles might just get me in trouble :)

That picture is priceless, Pete. Tres bien mon ami. Magnifique!

Kylie, tell us more about the "hot rod" (Ford? Merc? Highly modified Lotus?)

John

Geday John thanks for asking, its a 1932 Ford Roadster hotrod on the build (the other halfs project). Its powered by a modified Lexus V8, link computer, paddle shift loads of shiny parts and everything billet/custom. Simon polished the whole engine by hand! I feel guilty as I have taken some of his hotrod money which is now spent on the S350. Whoops :) So I have to be nice to him :) The Rod just needs body paint, wiring hooked up and interior fit out. Everything else is sort of painted and complete and ready to bolt on. Engine has been running and is bloody loud! In its current state the money he spent on it we could have another S350!! Rodding is not for the faint hearted!! Its going to look amazing when its finished. If you want to see some more pics of it let me know.

350.gifNo.23

Heck yeah, Kylie. I'm sure there are other LEF folks out there who'd appreciate some more pics as well. Fire away!

Didn't Dirty Harry use a 44 Magnum (not that it matters!)

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I think you caught me fair 'N square on that one, Paul. My "sometimer's disease" must have kicked in again.

Regards,

John :)