free hit
counters
S1 Barn-find restoration - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Barn-find restoration

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That looks great, Matt!!!! I'm getting a bit jealous, too! :respect:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

A few more pictures

Shows the repairs I made to the firewall where it had all been cut away (thanks Paul Coleman for lending me your template could never have done such a neat job glassing it all up without it)

Also my stainless steel tanks are in and now all the fuel pipes are fitted

IMG_3944.jpg

I fitted the pedal box, columb and wiper motor last weekend

IMG_3965.jpg

I reconditioned my master cylinder, I was lucky it didn't need resleeving, I vac tested the servo and that fine so I soaked it in rust desolver then fitted a repair kit and re painted it .... so thats all the brakes finished yippee !

IMG_3967.jpg

Matt

Edited by Matt-watts

Please let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

"I recognise that steering wheel boss "

Your going to recognise a heck of alot more than that soon Hilly <_<

Matt

• Gold FFM

Looks fantastic Matt, like the dealer number plates; we have had some period keyrings made, would look good hanging out the ignition barrel. Keep the pics coming.

ATB

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Been busy working on the Esprit over the last couple of months, the engine and gearbox are now fitted, I'm fitting the exhaust and sound deadning material on the mid section tonight, when I come back from my holiday and I will put body on...yippeee

I had some problems with +4 degrees positive camber but when the chassis was weighted and the toe in was set correctly all was fine Phew.

Thanks Paul and Jon for all the measuring you did for me on your cars :(

Matt

DSC_0303.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working hard on my Esprit over the last few weeks (again) and have made some good progress

My engine is a rebuilt 2.2 912 engine with fast road cams and a ported head, the engine came from Hillys wonderful Mutant !

I'm also using Hillys old gearbox as the one I had an unknown history.

I have had my S1 Esprit for year now and it has kept me very busy, saturday morning I put the body back on the chassis and it seems I have an Esprit at last, not just a load of bits.

I have connected up the brakes, clutch steering and water pipes and am just doing the engine bay wiring at the moment and fitting the luminition.

Still along way to go but it's a relef to get this far !

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

Matt

Edited by Matt-watts

mmm.... nice celan engine parts, chassi ... very nice, a man after my own heart!!! so much so i really want to get ou and gove mine a clean... even though its already clean, but its raining like mad here so i cant,..... oh for the love of a garage!!! now then, for xmas kelly i would really like :)

Matt

This car is going to be just awesome, looks every inch as good as the "blank chequebook" S1 restorations we have seen so far costing 40k upwards. It would be very revealing if you could estimate the cost at the end as a guide to would-be restorers.

I'm presuming the silver stuff on the cassis spine is sound deadening, where did you get the idea for that from as it doesn't appear on the original does it?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

a blank chequebook S1 restoration
If only !

I have a wife, two children and a mortgage, so i'm on a tight budget

My cost so far

£200 Buying the car, yes I was lucky

£1,600 Having sunroof filled in and all old paint and primer removed cracks repaired and painted

£1,000 Good used engine and gearbox + new clutch and new odds and ends for engine

£150 Pair Stainless steal tanks and header tank

£200 New Radator and 3 new fans

£200 Blasting, powder coating, paints

£1,400 New parts mechanical: shockers, bushes, pipes, bearings, rebuild kits, brakes, joints

£300 New parts cosmetic, Damplifier material grills, rubbers and seals, rear lights

£50 Rear hub repair

£150 Stainless exhaust used and few other used bits

£150 Steel pipe, alloy pipe, new fixings

£50 Electrical bits

£5,450 so far !

I have been quoted £1,200 to have the interior trimed in black bentley hide

Haven't even looked at tyres yet but need all 4

The silver stuff on the chassis spine is Edead modern sound deadning meterial that is light and won't soke up road water as I drive !

Hope this helps

Matt

That's amazing, I bet if you factored in your time at £x/hour it would be megabucks.

Have you considered going tartan on the interior or are you doing a modern interpretation?

Must admit when I saw what you were taking on I didn't think we'd be hearing from you ever again. Forgive me for doubting your talents :cheers::unworthy: :unworthy:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream