free hit
counters
S1 Barn-find restoration - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Barn-find restoration

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
bet if you factored in your time at £x/hour it would be megabucks
God yeah I think I must spend 16-20 hours a week in the garage and that time over the year ...well it's just to scary to post up. :unworthy:

I'm luck I only need to work 9:30-3:30 5 days a week so I get alot of free time and my 5 year old loves helping me in the garage

Si the red cluch hose is new and steel braided it just looks original :cheers:

Not sure what to do with the interior I would like get it retrimed how it left the factory in black marquset? fabric.

But may end up going for black leather as the trimmer I want to use has some bently hide at a good price

Matt

Please let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

Looks Bloody Marvelous :cheers:

Well done Matt - Gives us all a bit of hope and a bit of confidence to do something like this. Are you sure you did your sums right? Stunned on what you've achieved on a budget.

Cheers - Mark

Looking at the pics in the first post on this thread, which in truth aren't that long ago, you've done an amazing job so far! Well done Matt :cheers:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been busy working on my car since my last post so I have done an update

Bibs has said my Esprit can be on the LEF stand at Donnington in april so I have a deadline to keep to and still alot of work to do !

My interior is back from the trimmers and is all done in black leather, only the headlining is light grey

IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

My polished wheels have new tyres

IMG_4701.jpg

I have bled the brakes and clutch, got all the electrics working on the car,I have now got relays on the H4 headlamps and on the paset cooling fans

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

I have had to weld my door frames as there were badly broken, they are now ready for painting and fitting to the doors

IMG_4703.jpg

Over the next couple of weeks im going to fit the front and rear windows and the interior

IMG_4702.jpg

I got the engine running last weekend and have posted a short video of it running on you tube, it needs alot of tuning but it seems to run ok so far

YouTube link

Matt

Matt. You are an inspiration to anyone who wants to restore a Lotus but is scared to. Not only have you saved a classic but she can only appreciate! Worth more than you've spent so good move.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Lovely work, that's going to look a real treat on the stand! :rolleyes:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Matt

As a recent newcomer to Esprit ownership and this forum, I'd just like to add that this is a truly inspirational story. You should be enormously proud of what you are achieving. I would just love to have 10% of the skill, patience and attention to detail that you clearly possess in abundance.

I would also add that Matt's is just one great example of countless inspirational stories and conversations that take place in this forum. As a newcomer, it is quite overwheling to be able to read all this stuff and begin to feel a part of it.

Thanks to all.

Robert

Another barn find.... another amazing project... :huh::respect::blink::unsure:

one question.... my S3 project has the same :P ty sunroof fitted (see left) how easy or hard was it to repair (is that the word :unsure:) the missing part of glass fibre.. i was going to have a bigger squared edged sunroof fitted but am having 2nd thoughts..

great job on the car she is a stunner :baby:

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Another barn find.... another amazing project... :blink::sweat::scared:

one question.... my S3 project has the same :shock: ty sunroof fitted (see left) how easy or hard was it to repair (is that the word :devil: ) the missing part of glass fibre.. i was going to have a bigger squared edged sunroof fitted but am having 2nd thoughts..

great job on the car she is a stunner :dizzy:

Alan

Alan

I only have to think of my old sunroof and I get a headache !

I had lots of problems and its still not right.

It's my opinion that the best way to remove a sunroof in an Esprit is to change the whole roof, you may think it sounds rather drastic but fitting a roof in an esprit is not that hard and is easyer than just glassing in the hole. Message me if you need more Info/help

Who retrimmed the interior and how much did they charge?

... I'm looking to get mine done the the New Year.

Hi Bob I called a local car timmers company who sent round one of their trimmers to quote me, after a long chat he ended up doing it from home nothing to do with the local company, and for cash. I Photographed all the interior and then removed all my old coverings and baged them up for him, so all he had to do was to copy my old coverings and re-trim he collected everything and deliverd it all back to me, he charged me

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my progress

I fitted the rear screen before christmas they are a bugger to fit, getting the alloy trim to fit well takes alot of time, then my old gass struts where to weak to lift the hatch so I fitted the RS adjustable ones that Hilly has recomended and they work great (thanks Hilly!)

IMG_4743.jpg

I've also started to fit the interior

IMG_4744.jpg

It's been so cold over the last two weeks I have not been able to fit the windscreen as the adhesive would not set, so I have built up both the doors in my lounge and I fitted both of them today

IMG_4754.jpg

The car seems to be going together well at the moment, I can't wait to get the windscreen in ! ....keep your fingers crossed for warm weather for me

Matt

Other option for heat is to buy/hire a space heater for a couple of days like

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...d-space-heaters

I used to heat up my garage in the winter before spraying cars (obviously you can't have a burner like this on whilst your spraying or you'll blow up)

Also it makes the winters not seem so long as you can work in the garage longer into the evening!!