free hit
counters
S1 Barn-find restoration - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Barn-find restoration

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Your car looks fantastic, Matt. Fitting the extinguisher is a very good idea and the installation looks really neat. I also like how you have hidden the engine bay cooling mod.

What gets me in particular is how clean and shiny everything is. Fantastic.

There are some really nice S1's around now with yours and Tony's and Scott's coming to mind.

Come on, Paul. You were doing a stellar job on your car. It would be a tragedy for you to not finish it.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi Chaps,

How about sorting the reason for the bad 'fire hazard' !!

For my 'Two Cents' :rolleyes: I would recommend to fit some sort of Aluminium plate that attaches to the bottom studs of the inlet manifold, then runs down under the Dellortos (shaped to run off fuel) protecting the electrics area underneath?

The carbs have NO overflow pipe for the float chambers, nothing -(take a look at most Japanese Bike carbs they all have this!)

This will also have a positive side effect of keep 'heat soak' off the carbs - allowing easier starting when hot!

I was going to do this on my Lotus Eclat S2 Riviera - but changed to a fuel injected Esprit SE instead!

I am sure that lots of folks would appriciate a 'template' ?

BTW - I have a sheet of Aluminium intended to do this still - anyone interested?

Cheers

Steve :rofl: PS good job chap!!!

Guest surferphil
Well I've had an eventful few months since my last post!

When can you start work on mine? :( Serously though, this is beyond inspirational i'm struggling with a brake master cylinder rebuild and you rebuild an entire engine bay. All you need now is the proper air box, which should be done some time for you maybe December. :rofl:

Yet again I am in awe! I can't wait to see it on the road. :rolleyes:

Matt, out of interest where and how did you mount the blower? any chance you could post a picture?

I think your setup sounds like the solution I've been looking for.

Thanks, Gavin

Yes I would like do something good for youtube, I

Please let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

Yes Paul that sounds great and make sure its got a fur lined hood and a pocket for a note book and pencil, just like your one has :bounce:

Matt

Yes Paul that sounds great and make sure its got a fur lined hood and a pocket for a note book and pencil, just like your one has :harhar:

I am of course only jealous because I'd have to put my car on the back of a trailer to take part :)

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Matt

I ve just read through all of your thread, very impressed. You've done a fantastic job. Time to use her some & enjoy.

Like your bilge pump fan idea, Is that available at any chandlers. What was the price of one of them? I have opened up the vent on the passenger side of my S3 turbo, I would like to fit an elec fan here.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Hi Daz

This is what I used http://www.force4.co.uk/1117/Attwood--3-inch-Turbo-3000--Bilge-Blower---75mm-Hose----4-Cu-m-min.html

But you would not want it to run to continuously as its very powerful but very noisy and uses alot of battery power, on your S3 I would just use an PC fan as you don

Hi Daz

This is what I used http://www.force4.co.uk/1117/Attwood--3-inch-Turbo-3000--Bilge-Blower---75mm-Hose----4-Cu-m-min.html

But you would not want it to run to continuously as its very powerful but very noisy and uses alot of battery power, on your S3 I would just use an PC fan as you don

• 5 months later...

I watched this restoration from two doors down, I still can't believe the speed or the standard of work (shame about the woolfies!! :) ) you have achieved Chap, the car is stunning (except the wheels) and is testament to both your dedication and your good lady indulging you in your toys

:)

I remember watching you strip down the instruments to thier component parts and make/mend/clean/paint/polish/adapt each individual part, the attention to detail is astonishing (not sure about the wheels though :) ) and you have applied the "Matt Touch" to each and every component..... inspiring....

I just hope that when I get to it I can put in 10% of the effort and attention on my Elite, (at least its got nice wheels ;) ) and I'll be very pleased with the result.

When are you starting the next one?

Kindest regards

Mark

Edited by lostcause
  • Like 1

Guest surferphil

Befrore he starts the nex car, he'll need Bibs to start a new car forum for the Classic Europa!

first thread could be Matt's! :) :)

Then it's on the the M100!? ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...