free hit
counters
S1 Barn-find restoration - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Barn-find restoration

I think you've tricked us all and swapped cars somewhere along the line. Looking at that car being dragged out by a tractor and looking at the car parked outside that hotel I can't believe it's the same car.

Fantastic work. You must be very satisfed with the work.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So many people are asking me to make more mirrors I think I will make a run of ten,

Will do a post after I have had feedback from Donnington

Matt

Please let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

You're mad!! By the way Matt the bracket the mirror fixes to should be black. Mine is only silver becasue the paint has all flaked off :wub:

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Nar Paul they were chromed ...... yours must have been painted and then the paint flaked off ?

All the others I have seen are chromed :wub:

Matt

Hmmm... I'm not convinced. We shall have to ask Tony K what his orange car had as that was a bit of a time warp. It seems a bit odd to me to have a silver bracket for a black mirror fitted to a black panel? I reckon they should be black but I stand to be corrected!! I just think the paint never stayed on for very long because Lotus didn't use primer... on anything.

Might have to get the Spy Who Loved Me DVD on freeze frame when he drives out of the hotel (on second thoughts no that really is too sad!).

Cheers, Paul.

Paul Federal cars had totally different wing mirrors so Tonys K's orange car will not help

I have a good few 1976 Lotus press pictures of the S1 Esprit and they show the mirror base as chromed looking

I'm off to hang up the anorak now

Matt

Hi Mark

Your mirror is a 1977 mirror that is different (they are all black and a different shape) to the early shell shaped ones that I have made that have a chromed base.

Cheers

Matt

Hmmm... I'm not convinced. We shall have to ask Tony K what his orange car had as that was a bit of a time warp. It seems a bit odd to me to have a silver bracket for a black mirror fitted to a black panel? I reckon they should be black but I stand to be corrected!! I just think the paint never stayed on for very long because Lotus didn't use primer... on anything.

Might have to get the Spy Who Loved Me DVD on freeze frame when he drives out of the hotel (on second thoughts no that really is too sad!).

Cheers, Paul.

Looks black to me as he pulls out of the hotel...... :)

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

I did a quick photo montage of PPW306R, the original Bond car, that was at Goodwood festival of speed last year.

bonds1goodwood.jpg

I need to go check on mine as eyes and memory sometimes play tricks on me, but mine (1976) is black as well(errr I think :) ).

ATB

Edited by Hemlock

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

Yes on the Bond car it was blacked as were the screen surrounds and door handles as they reflection problems, but the press pictures of S1's with the shell mirrors had chromed bases

So maybe black or chrome is cool ?

Matt

I am, like most of you, someone who would like original if at all possible, I certainly am not up for modifications or pimping S1's. But this has to be taking it to the extreme!!!!!!!! :) As long as the mirror is the right shape it's got to be good.

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

For those of us who are restoring it's a very important thing (in a nerdy "I-can't-get-a-girlfriend" sort of way). I still say mine was originally painted black and has some of the wishy-washy crap black paint left on it. There is no other paint on either the mirror or panel so I don't believe it was an after thought.

Paul.

post-3569-1239832743_thumb.jpg

Establishing a single original specification for a Lotus model is tricky. It would seem more elegant to keep the entire mirror assembly black than to use a chrome foot however the press photos I've seen tend to display this feature. Although I have no scans of these cuttings I do have a photo of ULO 658R, the meticulously restored yellow S1 taken at Hethel on September 23rd 2007 which shows the mounting to be chrome. Is it likely that having paid such attention to detail the restorers would have failed to research the originality of this component? Until someone posts pictures of the press cars it is still open to conjecture. Perhaps cars with both black and chrome shell mirror mounts rolled out of Hethel. What is important is that Matt's car is an utterly beautiful restoration and I know we're all looking forward to seeing it on the stand at Donington.

Well done Matt,

Si

• Gold FFM

0134G ( TNR149R)was black stem. This flaked off over the years, and has since been polished to chrome. It will be repainted black as that's how it left Hethel: I'd advise to peel the seal for confirmation. I don't think there's a right or a wrong, as long as it is finished now as it was when it left Hethel. Hence why mine will be painted.

0139G (ULO658R) was chrome. Again I peeled the seal back for confirmation, which is why it stayed Chrome.

Although these VINs are close, I can only summise the probabilty that the supply bin online had mixed components, leading to some in Chrome, some in Black.

LOTUS - "we need 200 mirror stems @ 50p each - all in Black, for our new Supercar"

SUPPLIER - "sorry chap, can do 100 Black & 100 Chrome @ 50p"

LOTUS - "OK, that'll confuse the life out of restorers and detailists in thirty years or so..."

I've seen similar things happen on new model Lotus.

ATB

Scott.

Forget to add.......Matt, your car is stunning. I take my hat off to you.

Love especially the number plates - I'm doing a tax disc holder, a dealer window sticker and a number plate dealer font from the 70's for mine. If they are succesful, I'll run you out a second set as yours was a Bell & Colvill car.

ATB

Scott.

LOTUS - "we need 200 mirror stems @ 50p each - all in Black, for our new Supercar"

SUPPLIER - "sorry chap, can do 100 Black & 100 Chrome @ 50p"

LOTUS - "OK, that'll confuse the life out of restorers and detailists in thirty years or so..."

Hahaha you've probably hit the nail on the head there Scott :)

Paul.

Well my car is just about finished it

Matt,

Job well done on the restoration and thankyou for all the great up dates and pictures that you have have documented along the way they have been a pleasure to read and an insperation to all esprit owners. Would of liked to see the car in the flesh but could not get to this years meet, hopefully will see the car at another meet.

Regards Danny

A

• 2 weeks later...

Simply stunning! I think that 8500 pounds is not too much for such an excellent restoration. I only wish I had half your skill and patience.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 5 months later...

Well I've had an eventful few months since my last post!

The first job on the car was to fit my remote fire extinguisher as I had seen or heard of, so many Esprits going up in smoke :D

IMG_5081.jpg

It seemed to fit really well, I fitted its pull handle in the drivers door shut just below the boot release so its nice and handy

IMG_5084.jpg

I was very pleased with that so I moved on to my next job:

On hot days the heat build up under an S1's engine cover is extreme so I decided to fit a small blower that is hidden out of sight and switched on automatically as needed

I got a small bilge blower and with a bit of pipe and a plastic part for an old dell computer a made this

IMG_5037.jpg

The fan is very powerful so does not stay on for long as it cools the engine bay down so fast

IMG_5063.jpg

The fan unit is tucked away and the pipe comes up behind the header tank

IMG_5086.jpg

There is a small thermal switch mounted out of sight behind the rear most carb thats does the switching on/off

IMG_5085.jpg

I was busy driving the car and really enjoying it but, the

• Like 2

Wow you've been busy Matt - it looks good :D

You filled me with enthusiasm to get out there and look at mine again but it only lasted a milli-second and now its gone :)

Cheers, Paul.