free hit
counters
need new cat's - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
maydharm

need new cat's

Hi All.

I Know it's an old topic but i am still finding my feet with the Esprit so please forgive me if you find this post a bit old hat.

So here we go,

I'm looking for some new cat's i've seen the tread about aftermarket ones & would like to know more about the metal cat option as mentioned by bimmabimma,like do you need to have your old cat cut & welded on Or are they a direct swap? Does anyone have a pair or a standard n/s one for sale?

Cheers Jon.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

the *Larini exhaust systems* based "stainless" ones are a direct replacement. you can get other rust-free from several other independent sellers. Marcus an R&B have some in the larini type. Others have some who look more welded by hand. And i use [in one side] ordinary race catalysts from ebay -fitted inside the original catalyst body [so the original label is still in position... :)

Ps. have not officially tested yet, so no information about heat up cycle, running temperature and the exchange rate

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I purchased the Larini ss cats from Marcus. Excellent fit and finish but I have had cracking issues on both sides within 2500 miles. Larini agreed to reweld or replace but I would have to pay for shipping. I just had the cracks rewelded locally.

I noticed that at idle on cool-down the CATs/ exhaust box would vibrate quite a bit and realized that this was the cause of the stress cracks. I replaced the rubber exhaust hangars with custom polyurethane hangars made from a solid 1.5 inch thick piece. This reduced the vibration significantly and no issues since.

BTW, the CATs make quite a difference in performance.

I will be running test pipes instead of the cats. If you don't have yearly emissions inspections, that is an option to consider.

Jon,

I have the Larini sport box on mine, and to be honest i think the lotus sport box is louder. but he larini unit is nice and quiet around town but when you give it some stick then it wails, i say quiet, but it sounds more composed and not so raspy. i also have the cats that superdave has on his site, and these so far have been good. i can't say if the acceleration has altered much, because my car was off the road for quite a while between having the cats and box replaced and me driving it with the lotus units on.

either way, lifetime guarantee on the box and a pair of race metal cats are cheaper than the standard lotus issue ones.

as for the mot, mine passed without a hitch with the sport cat setup and larini box.

hope this helps mate

stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Jon,

I have the Larini sport box on mine, and to be honest i think the lotus sport box is louder. but he larini unit is nice and quiet around town but when you give it some stick then it wails, i say quiet, but it sounds more composed and not so raspy. i also have the cats that superdave has on his site, and these so far have been good. i can't say if the acceleration has altered much, because my car was off the road for quite a while between having the cats and box replaced and me driving it with the lotus units on.

either way, lifetime guarantee on the box and a pair of race metal cats are cheaper than the standard lotus issue ones.

as for the mot, mine passed without a hitch with the sport cat setup and larini box.

hope this helps mate

stuart.

Hi Stuart do you have a web address for super dave?

Cheers Jon.