free hit
counters
Vulcan flies again :) - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Vulcan flies again :)

V8 Owners Fem Slave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see the old girl again this summer - what a wonderful sight! :thumbup:

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

I really enjoyed seeing that, thanks for posting it, I've been following it as best I can. Speaking of similar vintage, I think this is a Bucaneer, the diminutive character is my Dad, I think it dates back to the 60s'.

Victor1.jpg

Anyone know how Bluebird is progressing?

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Used to go to Barton Airshow every year while I was growing up, brilliant day listening to Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac while the gliders did their displays. Being amazed how the red arrows never hit each other, then having your internal organs re arranged from the shear noise of the big planes flying past........wonderful memories :) must thank my dad for taking me, and giving me an appreciation of noisy, big, fast things lol

Used to go to Barton Airshow every year while I was growing up, brilliant day listening to Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac while the gliders did their displays.

That has brought back a long forgotten memory!

Cant remember which field it was but there was a synchro pair of gliders doing aerobatics to "shine on you crazy daimond". The combination of them and the music was just magic.

Thats a Victor........

I was going to say I was only young at the time, but then I checked your profile, so OK, I admire your knowledge of aircraft. Thanks I can now label it correctly in my album.

So here's another chalenge, what is this? (the little boy is my Dad)

FIL32.jpg

I know it's a bit earlier!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I live very close to an old WWII RAF base in West Malling - used to have a superb airshow there every year, it was pretty big in the warbird scene back in the early 80's, great for the surrounding area and town. So they ended up building houses on it :D (sold out English herritage)

Vulcan was part of the farewell tribute with the red arrows - never forget this...

9108%20Red%20Arrows%20y%20vulcan.jpg

facebook = [email protected]

Dad took us to a few airshows in the late 50's & early 60's - Vulcan 'scramble' takeoff was always the highlight. At one show 3 took off in quick succession (to nuke them russkies...) The sound truly awesome, The ground shook, your bones shook.

Nice to see the Victor pic - a very pretty plane in a rather strange way. (had a airfix kit of one you see)

You can actually go aboard a Vulcan at Carlisle airport - there is a small museum there with Vulcan, Canberra, Lightning etc. & loads of bits, well worth a look if passing by.

At a guess I'd say its a Liberty V12 engine.

Back to the Victor; you say its early 60s? Seeing that the Victor is in camo rather than anti-flash colour was your dad aircrew on QRA at the time? Any idea which base this was?

OK some family archive stuff, pics to follow, I have no idea about "Liberty V12 engine" the big guy is Squadron Leader FW Harris, my grandfather, the liitle, who became the older little guy in Victor photo was Peter Harris, he was air and defence correspondent for IPC, which included the Daily Mirror and Flight Magazine.

This is one of him with the Red Arrows.

Victor2.jpg

And just for fun, another of him in the original simulator of the Concorde cockpit!

Concordemockup.jpg

And as a child I used to always spend a day with him at the Farnbourgh Air Show. He was there the day of the tragedy, I think in 50's

Roger

You might want to change the caption on the first one.

The aircraft seems to be a very early (GR1) Harrier VTOL jet judging by the blow open doors on the intakes. The Red Arrows never used Harriers and would have had Gnats around that time.

The Concorde cockpit mock-up must be one of the earliest I have seen. Most had changed by the time the first arrangements were fixed but that one clearly has many key details in place. Might have a pic of the outside of it somewhere....

You might want to change the caption on the first one.

The aircraft seems to be a very early (GR1) Harrier VTOL jet judging by the blow open doors on the intakes. The Red Arrows never used Harriers and would have had Gnats around that time.

The Concorde cockpit mock-up must be one of the earliest I have seen. Most had changed by the time the first arrangements were fixed but that one clearly has many key details in place. Might have a pic of the outside of it somewhere....

I'll bow to your knowledge, I do know that the red arrows used Gnats in those days, so if that isn't one I've got the wrong photo! And now I come to look at the photo of the Harrier I took in the sience museum a couple of year ago, I sure your right.

Thanks, I'm trying to digitise the family album, and flight was a great part of my dad's life so it's good to find out these things.

Roger

Here's another one for you, so you know I'm not full of BS! dad died over therty years ago, I haven't lived in the Uk for almost that long, imagine on one of my trips, about 4 years ago I was reminising through the sience museum and found a gallery of newspaper articles on the major technological developments of the last centuray, right at the end I found this one,

London018.jpg

Look closley at the bi-line, it sent a shudder down my spine!

Roger

Edited by Roger Harris
Picture too large

I used to live in Poynton until I was 15, which is next to Woodford Aerodrome. This was originally Avro's, I believe.

They had a large amount of Vulcans in and out of there all the time, until the early 80's. I used to lie at the end of the runway on the grass, while the aircraft took off over me. The vulcan used to take up all the runway, and take off on a really low angle, hence when they flew over me, they were probably only about 20 feet above me! I swear that's why I have tinatus :D

I donated

Edited by Glyn Harper

On a similar subject, my Dad was in the Navy in the 60's, and he was in the Mountain Rescue team based out of RNAS Lossiemouth. (It's a RAF base now).

His team once had to search a mountain in Scotland for a crashed American plane, as a matter of urgency.

When they found the wreckage, they were immediately ordered away from the area, and had to give a map of the crash site to a team of Americans in white suits and breathing apparatus.

What was that about then?

Spring 64, a USAF jet crashed in the mountains near Fort William. Apparently the standard fit on that jet was a pair of nuclear air to air missiles. Some of the older locals still remember it (My mums side of the family is from Ft William)

Could that be the one?

Apparently the standard fit on that jet was a pair of nuclear air to air missiles.

:ph34r: What were they thinking of shooting down, a flying city?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That sounds like that will be the one.. He did say that they were wearing nuclear type suits.

Just done some searching actually.. It was a F-101C Voodoo that crashed.

There is a link to a page about it here.

http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/vo..._maol-odhar.htm

It says on the page, it was only on a training mission. I remember though that according to my dad, it was certainly nuclear armed in some way.

Spring 64, a USAF jet crashed in the mountains near Fort William. Apparently the standard fit on that jet was a pair of nuclear air to air missiles. Some of the older locals still remember it (My mums side of the family is from Ft William)

Could that be the one?

Edited by Glyn Harper

• 2 months later...

Resurrection of an old thread - but hey, I'm an aviation enthusiast as well as an Esprit enthusiast. Today the Vulcan was granted its permit to fly and display authorisation.

Anyone near RAF Waddington this weekend could, weather permitting, be in for an aviation treat..

Its plastered all over http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

Well done to all involved!

Just catching up on this, intrigued by the Harrier picture. I think it's def a Harrier, but my recollection is all Harriers have a rearwards and upwards sliding canopy, where as the pic seems to show a fixed canopy with an outward opening hatch.

If so is this some prototype rather than a normal service airframe?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Excellent news. I was very disappointed when she couldn't fly at the Cosford Air Show earlier this year. Hopefully get a look at her pretty soon.

Mat,

As Pete says, the Harrier does seem to be a very early version.

Graham.

Edited by Backmarker

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Great news on the Vulcan, can't wait to see it.

On the GR1, which it is, the canopy definatly used to slide back on that and the FRS1 so I'm guessing it's an extremely early one as well.

It's got roundals on the side which would suggest it was intended for some kind of use.

facebook = [email protected]